• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding on the Costa del Sol (Malaga) (1 Viewer)

Malaga Birding Tour to Montes de Malaga and the mouth of the Guadalhorce (2015.12.17)

Great trip today with a fantastic mix of woodland, wetland and seabirds!

The tour started at Los Montes in the morning, where we could get early enough to hear the Tawny Owls there. After that, Blackbird, Robin, Great Tit, Wood Pigeon, Blue Tit, Common Crossbill, Sisking, Sardinian Warbler, Chaffinch, Nuthatch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Sparrowhawk, Chiffchaff, Serin, Coal Tit, Spotless Starling, Blackcap, Jay, Hawfinch, Common Buzzard, Long-tailed Tit, Crag Martin, Goldfinch, Black Redstart and Firecrest, with Cirl Bunting, Short-toed Treecreeper and Crested Tit heard.

The arrival to the Guadalhorce was wonderfully welcomed by a Booted Eagle by the river. Then, the list was completed with Greenfinch, Meadow Pipit, Cormorant, White Wagtail, Stonechat, Grey Heron, Crested Lark, White-headed Duck, Coot, Little Grebe, Pochard, Mallard, Shoveler, Collared Dove, Greenshank, Spanish and House Sparrows, Marsh Harrier, Black-headed, Lesser Black-backed and Mediterranean Gulls, Black-winged Stilt, Hoopoe, Gannet, Shelduck, Kingfisher, Moorhen, Common Sandpiper, Little Egret, Purple Swamphen, Yellow-legged Gull, Sanderling, Monk Parakeet, Zitting Cisticola, Black-necked Grebe and Cattle Egret, with Cetti’s Warbler heard.

67 different species in total... Nice birdaytrip!!!

Attachments

• 2015.12.17 Booted Eagle.JPG
    2015.12.17 Booted Eagle.JPG
    784.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 2015.12.17 Booted Eagle II.JPG
    2015.12.17 Booted Eagle II.JPG
    455.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 2015.12.17 Kingfisher.jpg
    2015.12.17 Kingfisher.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 2015.12.17 White-headed Ducks .jpg
    2015.12.17 White-headed Ducks .jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 2015.12.17 Zitting Cisticola.JPG
    2015.12.17 Zitting Cisticola.JPG
    724 KB · Views: 60
Hi all

In August I will be heading to Spain for a week to Andalucia staying close to Canillas de Aceituno on the edge of Sierras de Tejeda nature park, I would really appreciate any advice. Ideally looking for birds of prey although there are some beautiful birds that will no doubt catch me eye.

Regards.. Kris

Last edited:
Hi all

In August I will be heading to Spain for a week to Andalucia staying close to Canillas de Aceituno on the edge of Sierras de Tejeda nature park, I would really appreciate any advice. Ideally looking for birds of prey although there are some beautiful birds that will no doubt catch me eye.

Regards.. Kris

Hi, Kris.

The Sierra Tejada is a very wide area with Golden Eagles around Competa and El Alcazar in Alcaucin. You can also have a look at Ventas de Zafarraya for Peregrine Falcon and Bonelli's Eagle.

There is also a recreational area called La Rahije near Canillas on the way to Sedella, with a pine tree stand that can give you some forest birds like crossbills, crested Tits and Rock Buntings.

Try early morning trips as it's a bit hot over here in August!

Good birding!

Luis Alberto

Hi, Kris.

The Sierra Tejada is a very wide area with Golden Eagles around Competa and El Alcazar in Alcaucin. You can also have a look at Ventas de Zafarraya for Peregrine Falcon and Bonelli's Eagle.

There is also a recreational area called La Rahije near Canillas on the way to Sedella, with a pine tree stand that can give you some forest birds like crossbills, crested Tits and Rock Buntings.

Try early morning trips as it's a bit hot over here in August!

Good birding!

Luis Alberto

Brilliant many thanks Luis, yeah the hear may get the better of me at some pint but I a so excited it cannot come soon enough.

Thanks again.. Kris

Birdwalking through the Sierra de Camarolos (2016.01.09)

With the goal of watching the Golden Eagle, a group of brave birdwatchers headed to the highest peaks of the Sierra de Camarolos...

During the week, the weather forecast suggested not to go but it sweetened on Thursday and we decided to move on. The climb to the highest reaches was all right, with some of the typical birds and mammals present in the region: Sparrowhawk, Choughs, Mistle Thrush, Rock Bunting and Spanish Ibex. We spotted a wonderful young Golden Eagle near the ridge and that was all: a dense fog and strong breeze with heavy rain fell upon us.

Then, a “white” walk across the sierra waiting for a clear moment to inspect its fantastic cliffs and a new opportunity to enjoy the eagles that did not come out... sensing the calls and silhouettes of Goldfinches, thrushes, Thekla Larks and Red-legged Partridges in the mist.

As we descended back the hills, getting out the clouds, we found a big flock of vultures possibly taking their first flights of the day. We decided to have our late lunch in the birds observatory at Hondonero for a last opportunity to spot the Golden Eagle. A Kestrel Hovered over the hills of the Chamizo Peak and several Griffon Vultures flew away followed by, eventually, a fantastic adult Golden just floating in the clouds.

We then tried a couple of caves in search for Eagle Owls and... at least one of them was already awake!

Great trip in very good company!

Attachments

• 2016.01.09 Golden Eagle.JPG
    2016.01.09 Golden Eagle.JPG
    633.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 2016.01.09 Eagle Owl.jpg
    2016.01.09 Eagle Owl.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 79
Just invested in... Where to Watch Birds in Southern and Western Spain
Andalucia, Extremadura and Gibraltar

Looks like a superb book, anyone recommend any of good reading ?

That is a great book to help you birding over here.

Last time I forgot to metion my dear friend Bob's blog Birding Axarquia (the name of the region where Canillas is located) where you can have a look and even contact him to join some of his trips:

http://birdingaxarquia2.blogspot.com.es/

Good birding!

Luis Alberto

That is a great book to help you birding over here.

Last time I forgot to metion my dear friend Bob's blog Birding Axarquia (the name of the region where Canillas is located) where you can have a look and even contact him to join some of his trips:

http://birdingaxarquia2.blogspot.com.es/

Good birding!

Luis Alberto

A blog I have been reading found it on my gogle research, August cannot come soon enough.

Birding around the farmlands (2016.01.19)

Little Bustards were some of John’s reasons to come back...

...so we organized the trip around them.

The morning was so misty in the steppes that it took us quite long to find a flock of Little Bustards after lots of Hoopoes and Corn Buntings, and even a spectacular chase of a Merlin in the tracks. But when we got it, John made the main point: “Cranes, Little Bustards, Red-legged Partridges, a gorgeous Black-winged Kite and an Iberian Grey Shrike flying past all together... Magical!!”

Attachments

• 2016.01.19 Black-winged Kite.JPG
    2016.01.19 Black-winged Kite.JPG
    720.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 2016.01.19 Little Bustards.JPG
    2016.01.19 Little Bustards.JPG
    572.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 2016.01.19 Cranes.JPG
    2016.01.19 Cranes.JPG
    436.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 2016.01.19 Corn Bunting.jpg
    2016.01.19 Corn Bunting.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 2016.01.19 Hoopoe.JPG
    2016.01.19 Hoopoe.JPG
    793.4 KB · Views: 45
Birding at the mouth of the Guadalhorce and Rio Grande (2016.01.20)

What a fabulous birding day, with the best possible sample of our wintering river birds!!!

What do I begin with? These are some of the 69 different species we spotted: first Barn Swallow of the season, plus some House Martins and plenty of Crag martins, Black Storks, the three possible grebes: Little, Black-necked and... Great-crested!, Bluethroat, Booted Eagle, Osprey, Common Buzzard, Kestrel and Marsh Harrier, Cattle, Little and Great Egrets plus Grey Heron, Common Scoter (they are more seabirds than river birds...), Hoopoe, Lapwing, Mediterranean Gull, Purple Swamphen, White-headed Duck, Penduline Tit, Water Pipit, Greenshank, Redshank, Common and Green Sandpiper, Snipe, Little Ringed and Grey Plovers, Black-winged Stilt, Lapwing...

Attachments

• 2016.01.20 Penduline Tit.jpg
    2016.01.20 Penduline Tit.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 2016.01.20 Black-necked Grebe.JPG
    2016.01.20 Black-necked Grebe.JPG
    728.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 2016.01.20 Booted Eagle.JPG
    2016.01.20 Booted Eagle.JPG
    766.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 2016.01.20 Black Storks.JPG
    2016.01.20 Black Storks.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 58
  • 2016.01.20 Great Egret.jpg
    2016.01.20 Great Egret.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 56

It is certainly immodest of me, but if you're planning to be based in Cadiz province (or visiting the area) then I'd recommend a copy of my detailed birding notes. You should be able to download a free copy at the site listed below, but many people have problems so it's probably best to send me a PM with your email address so that I can send you a copy. If your interests extend to wildlife other than birds (and even if it doesn't) then I'd also recommend the Crossbill Guide on The Andalusian Sierras (see www.crossbillguides.org). It's sold out, but may still be available from online book sellers. However, it may be worth waiting since by August a new Crossbill guide to the region should be available. This is also immodest of me since I helped with the first and am currently editing the second!

Birdwatching at El Chorro (2016.01.29)

Here is a sample of the most typical birds there...

We could also spot others like Dartford Warbler, Golden Eagle, Hoopoe, Peregrine Falcon, Iberian Grey Shrike or Crested Tit.

Attachments

• 2016.01.29 Bonelli's Eagles.JPG
    2016.01.29 Bonelli's Eagles.JPG
    753.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 2016.01.29 Griffon Vulture.JPG
    2016.01.29 Griffon Vulture.JPG
    696.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 2016.01.29 Blue Rock Thrush.JPG
    2016.01.29 Blue Rock Thrush.JPG
    763.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 2016.01.29 Black Wheatear.JPG
    2016.01.29 Black Wheatear.JPG
    733.9 KB · Views: 53
The arrival to the Guadalhorce was wonderfully welcomed by a (...) Spanish and House Sparrows, (...)

May I ask where exactly you found those Spanish Sparrows? I was there 4 weeks ago and looked at every damn Sparrow but just couldn't find one.

Also I'm currently in Granada, but haven't gotten out much in the last few weeks, however I might find the opportunity for one final birding day in Andalucia. Here are some ofmy biggest misses so far: Rock Bunting, Spanish Sparrow, a good Bonelli's Eagle sighting, Black Wheatear and Little Bustard. Maybe you have a suggestion for a place I could try for any of these? Idon't have a car, so I'll have to use public transport.
So far I've been to Padul, Hoya de Guadix (didn't see almost anything) and Charca de Suárez. I'm thinking about returning to Padul, but I'm not sure if they have any of the birds I'm searching for. maybe you have an idea?

Maffong

May I ask where exactly you found those Spanish Sparrows? I was there 4 weeks ago and looked at every damn Sparrow but just couldn't find one.

Also I'm currently in Granada, but haven't gotten out much in the last few weeks, however I might find the opportunity for one final birding day in Andalucia. Here are some ofmy biggest misses so far: Rock Bunting, Spanish Sparrow, a good Bonelli's Eagle sighting, Black Wheatear and Little Bustard. Maybe you have a suggestion for a place I could try for any of these? Idon't have a car, so I'll have to use public transport.
So far I've been to Padul, Hoya de Guadix (didn't see almost anything) and Charca de Suárez. I'm thinking about returning to Padul, but I'm not sure if they have any of the birds I'm searching for. maybe you have an idea?

Maffong

Dear Maffong,

The Spanish Sparrows use to be a little upstream from the mouth.

You can find Rock Bunting, Black Wheatear and Bonelli's at the same place like, for example El Chorro (have a look at "Birdwatching at El Chorro (2016.01.29) in this thread) , a mountanous environment. Little Bustards prefer the farmlands around the Fuente de Piedra lake (have a look at "Birding around Malaga province (2015.11.05) in this thread), with some more Spanish Sparrows.

I'm not really sure whether you can find your targets around Padul.

Good luck and good birding!!

Luis Alberto
www.birdaytrip.com

Birding at the Laguna de Fuente de Piedra (2016.02.13)

The Fuente de Piedra lake in general and the surroundings of the Visitors Centre in particular are showing a much better face after the last rains.

Samples of the spring migration like Black-tailed Godwits, Little Ringed Plovers, Yellow Wagtails and Pintails were present in the area, as well as some ducks that came back with the rain like White-headed Ducks and Red-crested Pochards.

This is the list of birds observed around the Visitors Centre: Black-headed and Lesser Black-backed Gulls, Goldfinch, Serin, Jackdaw, Shoveler, Teal, Black-winged Stilt, Greater Flamingo, White Wagtail, House Martin, Coot, Barn Swallow, Lapwing, Snipe, Spotless and Common Starlings, Black Redstart, Corn Bunting, Kestrel, Crested Lark, Mallard, Little Ringed Plover, Stonechat, Blackbird, Shelduck, House Sparrow, Greenfinch, Cetti’s Warbler, Common Buzzard, Chiffchaff, Meadow Pipit, Yellow Wagtail, Moorhen, Pochard, White-headed Duck, Little Grebe, Crag Martin, Red-crested Pochard, Pintail, Marsh Harrier, Linnet, Song Thrush, Black-tailed Godwit, Sardinian Warbler, Hoopoe and Common Sandpiper.

Attachments

• 2016.02.13 Red-crested Pochard.JPG
    2016.02.13 Red-crested Pochard.JPG
    479.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 2016.02.13 Black-winged Stilts.JPG
    2016.02.13 Black-winged Stilts.JPG
    548.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 2016.02.13 Black-tailed Godwits.JPG
    2016.02.13 Black-tailed Godwits.JPG
    598.9 KB · Views: 84
Birdwatching at the mouth of the Guadalhorce (2016.02.23)

There are evident signs of spring time...

...Serins singing like crazy, the blue bills of White-headed ducks, the massive passage of Barn and Red-rumped Swallows, the song flights of Crested Larks, Cormorants showing their summer plumage, blossoming Bridal Broom...

We enjoyed a lovely morning at the river and could take some nice pictures to the birds. We could also spot a pair of escapes like Black-headed Weaver and Peach-faced Lovebird.

Attachments

• 2016.02.23 White-headed Duck.JPG
    2016.02.23 White-headed Duck.JPG
    752.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 2016.02.23 Serin.jpg
    2016.02.23 Serin.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 2016.02.23 Crested Lark.JPG
    2016.02.23 Crested Lark.JPG
    666.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 2016.02.23 Kentish Plover.JPG
    2016.02.23 Kentish Plover.JPG
    628.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 2016.02.24 Glossy Ibis.JPG
    2016.02.24 Glossy Ibis.JPG
    746.1 KB · Views: 85
Two Great spotted Cuckoo's seen along the beach by the sea watching area at Guadalhorce on Monday, lots of Kentish Plover on the beach, didn't see the three Glossy ibis that were reported unfortunately, up to 15 white Headed Duck on the pool. Marsh Harrier and booted eagle seen interacting high in the sky. Its such a wonderful reserve! Also visited Fuente de Piedra on Sunday, lots of flamingo and gulls, no sign of bluethroat which I was keen to see, water levels quite low but again a wonderful reserve, lots of Crane seen while driving around far end of reserve. We also found several Stone Curlew in the olive groves and rough field, no Bustards though, great or little!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back