• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern - Lake Kariba - Zimbabwe (1 Viewer)

DeanT

Please help me to ID this bird ... there were many of them.

Attachments

• k.jpg
    k.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 59
  • k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 38
  • k3.jpg
    k3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 54
They're all "marsh terns" (Chlidonias sp.), most seem to be White-winged Terns in different moult stages/various ages, but a few look better for Black Tern (grey rump).

Agree. 3 is clearly a WWBT.

Please help me again??

What is a WWBT?

Also Steve and Rapheal.....
1. are you saying that these terns fly together sometimes?
2. The black tern has a grey rump and tail? Like below

Attachments

• er.jpg
    er.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 17
  • er2.jpg
    er2.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 28
As far as I know Black Tern (with dark shoulder patch) is a vagrant in inland Southern Africa where you have to choose between White-winged with white rump (very common in our winter) and Whiskered with grey rump (less common), so your grey rumped terns without shoulder patch must be Whiskered

As far as I know Black Tern (with dark shoulder patch) is a vagrant in inland Southern Africa where you have to choose between White-winged with white rump (very common in our winter) and Whiskered with grey rump (less common), so your grey rumped terns without shoulder patch must be Whiskered
Tom is right, of course. Should have checked some maps beforehand.
Regarding your question #2, yes they fly in large or very large flocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back