• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pigeon? Coventry, England (1 Viewer)

Freiston

I've seen a dead bird in Coventry city centre - I haven't stopped for a good look - just seen it as passing by during my lunch break. It looks like a turtle dove but appears to have a bright red beak, white head and a prominent black eye-stripe.

Could this just be a variation/aberration of a turtle dove/feral pigeon or does someone have any other idea?

Many thanks,

Sounds like a feral pigeon to me. Certainly won't be a turtle dove, which are summer visitors to open woodlands and farmland, and now sadly quite uncommon.

Never seen a feral pigeon with a bright red beak.

quite right, white forms can show a pink bill, but otherwise red isn't normal. Either it was blood (don't know how the bird died) or woodpigeon could be a possibility - but then the rest of the description doesn't fit.

I can't believe this - I've just seen a picture of a red-legged partridge - looked very similar, so I googled for some more pictures - the bird I saw was definitely a red-legged partridge! (I have been back since my first post to get a better look).

I can't believe this - I've just seen a picture of a red-legged partridge - looked very similar, so I googled for some more pictures - the bird I saw was definitely a red-legged partridge! (I have been back since my first post to get a better look).

Of course, its obvious now you said it the original description fits with Redleg nicely.Though i suppose you wouldnt expect it in that location.
I once found a dead Water Rail when i was walking down the road near where i live in the middle of Sunderland.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back