• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss terra or Hawk Frontier ED X in 8x42? (2 Viewers)

bart77

Hi,
Has anyone any experience that could help me make up my mind between these two?
Or even confuse me more with another suggestion in that price band!
Cheers

What struck me about the Zeiss Terra 8x42 when I tried one was their lack of brightness. Their transmission is only 82% which is quite low for even a roof prism. I also don't like their small AFOV at only 56 degree's versus 65 degree's for the Hawk. So between the two I would take the Hawk any day of the week. But in reality if you have only $400.00 to spend you will get a much better view if you buy a porro and I would recommend the Nikon 8x30 E2. I still think at your price point it is the best value. Most roof's less than $500.00 are nothing to write home about.;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-8x30...387498?hash=item463a73f0aa:g:oH0AAOSwPhdVJjWF
https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Hawke-Frontier-8x42-ED-X-Binoculars-Review-232.htm
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/binoculars/zeiss-terra-ed-8x32
https://www.allbinos.com/297-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Terra_ED_8x42.html

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
They are both reasonable modern waterproof roof prisms for around £400.The only real thing for you to do ( it's been said hundreds of times on this forum ) is to get along to a shop that has these and try them out for yourself...... good luck. Try to search and read up on threads for choosing binoculars.

Agree very much with Pyrtle; definitely a good idea (if you can) to try them both out. But IMO, having compared the two many times, the Hawke is a much better bino optically, and they are backed by a much better warranty (if the Terra still only have a 2 year guarantee?).

Hi,
Has anyone any experience that could help me make up my mind between these two?
Or even confuse me more with another suggestion in that price band!
Cheers

IMO the Zeiss Terra ED 8X42 is a decent binocular....but if I looking at binoculars in that price range I'd probably go with the Vanguard ED II 8X42. It's the best binocular I've owned in it's price range and even more.

Thanks for the advice and your thoughts on them. I have tried them both, but not side by side so thought the image on both was good and could not choose between them. I will also look into some of the other suggestions.
Thanks again

if I looking at binoculars in that price range I'd probably go with the Vanguard ED II 8X42. It's the best binocular I've owned in it's price range and even more.

These have been ridiculously cheap at Amazon Canada lately. Their algorithm just keeps dropping the price until someone orders, then it goes back up. I've been able to get several pairs for family and friends for under $190 USD by monitoring the price. They are certainly quite a steal at that level.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 2.09.09 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 2.09.09 PM.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 38
IMO the Zeiss Terra ED 8X42 is a decent binocular....but if I looking at binoculars in that price range I'd probably go with the Vanguard ED II 8X42. It's the best binocular I've owned in it's price range and even more.

Allbino's thinks highly of them! #7

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-06-14-15-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-03-06-14-15-08.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 107
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back