• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Redtsrt, France (1 Viewer)

dragnil

The glass is half full, but the bottle is empty.
United Kingdom
A recent discussio about a Redstart at Flamborough prompts me to ask for help too. Despite many years birding, my experience of Redstarts is very limited and I saw this bird in the Prenees this autumn feeding happily on dogwood berries.
The Collins guide, however, doesn't show a pale wing panel or any white under the black bib. A search on line doesn't produce matches to my bird. Any guidance gratefully received.
David

Attachments

• Common Redstart male Aug 20_36.jpg
    Common Redstart male Aug 20_36.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 141
Quite a striking bird! All the same, I'd still say nominate P. p. phoenicurus though. Most of the time we are watching Redstarts is spring males, where any pale fringes have worn off; birds in fresh post-moult plumage like this one are not illustrated so much (if at all) in books, and are less often seen (as they're not attracting attention by singing), so we're less familiar with them.

Thanks, Nutty, I'm happy to be reassured that he's not out of the ordinary. The berries were bringing in Blackcaps and hordes of Pied Flycatchers. Of course it went quiet when they'd eaten them all, but a lovely few days.

Thanks, that's interesting. Some of the detail is beyond me but I'm thinking, on balance, it's still as suggested by Nutcracker. Crikey, it's a very grey area though isn't it?

Of course, dear Dragnil, I'm also on the nominate phoenicurus side, as Nutcracker wrote, even if I think your is a very pale edged individual...

The lack of white bulging at the base of fringes on tertials and secondaries seems to be diagnostic of phoenicurus, just like the strong buffish tinge to the fringes!

Ciao, Igor Festari

I think the point is, your bird is an adult male nominate and in fresh autumn plumage so at it’s brightest/stonkingness - however, likewise for the comparative equivalent in samamisicus but that is even more striking as the Kuwait bird shows. Both smart birds though regardless :t:

Thanks, all, your comments are really helpful. I was just happy to see such a beautiful bird, certainly my best yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back