• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Emperor dragonflies in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

Apodemus

A few weeks ago I visited Milton Rigg woods (Woodland Trust property in north Cumbria) and the pond area was hooching with Emperor dragonflies. First time I have ever seen them in Cumbria, and I heard that they had been seen on the Solway too. The distribution map in Collins has them well down the country, but many species of dragonfly seem to be heading north.
It was a great wildlife moment.

Apodemus said:
A few weeks ago I visited Milton Rigg woods (Woodland Trust property in north Cumbria) and the pond area was hooching with Emperor dragonflies. First time I have ever seen them in Cumbria, and I heard that they had been seen on the Solway too. The distribution map in Collins has them well down the country, but many species of dragonfly seem to be heading north.
It was a great wildlife moment.

Interesting to know. Just recently been taking an interest in Dragonflies. The Brooks/Lweington Field Guide 'Dragonflies and Damselflies' has them in Northumberland but not Cumbria. A reflection of how the range is changing, I guess down to climate change.
Not sure if you realise, but there is a specific forum just above for insects and dragonflies.

Cheers

brianfm said:
Interesting to know. Just recently been taking an interest in Dragonflies. The Brooks/Lweington Field Guide 'Dragonflies and Damselflies' has them in Northumberland but not Cumbria. A reflection of how the range is changing, I guess down to climate change.
Not sure if you realise, but there is a specific forum just above for insects and dragonflies.

Cheers

Hello Brian,
The latest books on the distribution on any insect species is out of date by the time it gets into the shops. The Emperor is now being reported regularly in the Scottish Lothians. It is breeding in both Northumberland and Co. Durham and has been here for several years.

For some strange reason then insects move their ranges north, they invariably move faster up the east coast than on the western side of the country.

Harry.
BDS County Recorder N'land & Durham.

harry eales said:
Hello Brian,
The latest books on the distribution on any insect species is out of date by the time it gets into the shops. The Emperor is now being reported regularly in the Scottish Lothians. It is breeding in both Northumberland and Co. Durham and has been here for several years.

For some strange reason then insects move their ranges north, they invariably move faster up the east coast than on the western side of the country.

Harry.
BDS County Recorder N'land & Durham.

Thanks Harry. I guessed that was what the situation was. To be honest I am not well enough aquainted with Dragonflies yet to be up to date and on the ball with distribution although I was aware that there is a move northwards of several species. Interesting point about the east west difference. I certainly didn't know that. I was thinking of getting a hold of the atlas for the UK distribution. Guess that will be long out of date too? I am looking forward to next summer so as to get out there and find a few more species. :t:

Cheers

Now well established in Ireland, after being first recorded here in 2000. In fact I had one in 2000 at my pond. I confirmed breeding in 2002.

Now resident along south and eastern coastal areas. This year saw the first recorded sighting in Northern Ireland.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back