• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (39 Viewers)

Thanks James

Exactly my point but far more succintly put than my post.

John

This is playing Devil's Advocate -

I do think feeding garden birds is different to migrants. Take the example of the Steppe Grey Shrike, I think that it is quite likely that it would have moved on earlier without the supply of mealworms. Staying the extra few days as a result of the artifical source of food (note: the source of the food is artificial, not the food type) could mean that the weather is colder and less food is around at secondary stopping off points as it attempts to migrate. In this way the supplementary feeding has had a detrimental effect.

The secondary point is probably about manipulating a birds behaviour for personal ends, e.g. the vole post was put up by trespassing, and some people resented seeing the Desert Wheatear near a hand. I think that it is also possible that some birders feel that mealworms are being used as a proxy for fieldcraft or patience.

I am not strongly against feeding of migrant birds, my first Red-flanked Bluetail at Muckleburgh Hill was doing a circuit but returning to an area where mealworms had been laid, but it does raise some questions and I can see why it is a controversial topic.

Asking on behalf of a Norfolk friend - does anyone know anything about a proposed wind turbine at Lynn Point and what assessment has been or is being made on the basis that the river acts as a major fly way for birds?

Hi Robin

The information is available at: http://www.west-norfolk.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=24449

Planning code 14/01381/F

We are very concerned about this proposal and don't understand why the base has already been built. As you say this is a major flyway. We are waiting for a response from a chap who has done some survey work here (ready for the planning application that uses some strange data) but the chap dealing with our enquiry has been out of the office this week.

You need to contact Chris Fry

[email protected]

Sue Bryan and Paul Jeffery

Regarding the feeding of mealworms. I spoke with some bloke from the Holkham Estate the day after the Steppe Grey was last seen. He said he'd been in touch with someone assisting the re-introduction of Corncrake at the Nene Washes and that feeding of dried mealworms was detrimental to their health...i.e they got stuck in their throats. The chap from Holkham went to see if he could find the Shrike feet up, but didn't.
What help this is I dunno....it'll be deleted anyway :)

Dave

Why has there been so much uproar regarding feeding a couple of birds mealworms? It's like a bandwagon suddenly everyone wants to be on. I've never seen so much opposition to such behaviour before on here, on Facebook and on Twitter.

I have not seen either of these wheatears nor fed them mealworms by the way. But if someone can lay out a well argued case clearly and succinctly as to why this is such deplorable behaviour I promise to reconsider as I'm quite taken aback by the amount of opposition to it.

Regards
James

I think that a lot of the opposition to the feeding/baiting is more to do with who is doing it. Seems that (some) photographers are carrying out the feeding/baiting in the desperation to get their ultimate shot (even though it will look very much like the bloke standing next to you has) - and possibly the perception that the bird is some kind of commodity (yes I know listers are like this too).

Like many on here, I like to take pictures of birds and like to get good ones once in a while, but I will accept that my photo won't be that good if the bird isn't close enough and just leave it at that. It does seem though, that baiting is becoming more prevalent (the very showy Wells Rosy Starling was supplied mealworms in a specially decorated dish at one point even though it was feeding well on the food that was already there!).

Imagine if it were just birders feeding a stray for the good of the bird for a bit, to give it some sustenance after what may have been a traumatic journey and just enjoying it being there. Like what used to happen... In this situation I would think that the depth of feeling wouldn't be so strong, it just doesn't seem that this is what is happening at the moment.

Highlight of the day came earlier at Salthouse. A massive finch flock on the beach was being grilled by a group of senior birders. As they all flew to a distant patch, I commented on the good numbers of Snow Bunting amongst the vast amount of Goldfinch and Linnet. This was greeted with disbelieving and incredulous looks. As I scanned the now distant flock, Snow Buntings (20-30) were visible as they briefly flew up to reposition in the flock. The senior birders moved off slightly, the male members of the group making comments about how the "young chap" was stringing Goldfinches as Snow Buntings. A couple of minutes later, the whole mixed flock rose together, segments glistening white with wings and tails. Even these guys couldn't miss that. I walked past them with a smile.

The old farts of today.... bah humbug!

Will

Will, Seniority is no guarantee of capability

interesting to see what the arguments were against such feeding, I'm glad I've seen some reasoning. I remain somewhat unconvinced, but maybe I'm in the minority here. Would be boring if we all agreed anyway.

A couple of points though. Not all garden birds are wintering/resident and in the main passage periods many will be migrants. The feeding of garden birds is on a much greater scale than the feeding of a lone coastal vagrant but I haven't come across this argument before regarding the feeding of garden birds in spring or autumn. Also the migratory urge is likely to be stronger then the desire to feed and to my knowledge most 'fed' migrants don't stay that much longer than others.

In the absence of scientific study I guess it comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Personally I'd rather see a birder or photographer trying to attract a bird to him (or her) than continuously following it and flushing. And a bird with a full belly must be a stronger prospect on migration than one half starved.

Now where are those mealworms? ;)

Out of interest, I've encountered a few species in North Africa whilst walking in desert regions, one being the desert wheat ear. Some species have been very bold, approaching me when I stopped for a break and taking scraps of bread I flicked for them. I also noticed birds closely following trains of mules, picking through the dung and getting scraps of food from the drivers. Perhaps gleaning food from groups of humans is more common in certain species.

Also, its difficult (for me) not to be concerned when people feed non-garden birds solely for a good photo, however its important to remember that there are many feeding stations all over the uk used by ringing groups, photographers and researchers.

I'm amazed this is still being discussed but as I'm the 'youth' who's been mentioned a few times here I should clarify a few points, even though it's been done to death on twitter.

1) The bird was already tame as hell, the introduction of meal worms didn't change its behaviour, it still walked towards you still, showed no signs of wary'ness. Except when a dog walker, jogger etc approached it with some pace. This natural fear is a common trait in this species and yes I took advantage of that by attempting to hand feed it. Which I failed at by the way, despite others claiming it was sat on my hand!

2) http://www.adamseward.co.uk/tag/northern-wheatear/ - Read it! Birds do benefit from supplementary feeding. This bird had an easy food source of 'Live' (some people accused me of throwing dead dried worms) mealworms and took full advantage of it. We had nice views, everyone else had nice views. It fed up and left a couple days later. Those accusing me of affecting it's migration by 'keeping it here', well I'm not so sure.

3) I visited on two occassions, the first to simply see the bird, and the second to 'feed it'. It fed happily on flys, spiders etc before I arrived, and continued to do so after I'd gone/ it ran out of worms. A bird in its state took full advantage of the food source and really who can blame it?

Maybe, feeding it was wrong, maybe I shouldn't of gone for the hand approached, but as others have rightly pointed out. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, historically people have gotten close to these stupidly tame birds, people like seeing birds up close who can blame them! I didn't even bring my camera I literally just wanted to see the bird close. Nothing malicious.

If there's really anything else that people want to ask about this can they just private message me, it's been literally a week since it happened and I'm bored of having to explain what happened to people. If you really have any problems with what happened, then I clearly I can't change your mind, and your perception of me can stay as it is. I'll get over it.

All the best,
Jake

Titchwell November 14th

Today's highlights

Despite the nasty morning weather is was a decent day.

Long tailed duck - 2 drakes still offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Yellow legged gull - adult roosting on fresh marsh
Little gull - 26 offshore
Sandwich tern - still 5 offshore
Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh

Paul

Today's highlights

Despite the nasty morning weather is was a decent day.

Long tailed duck - 2 drakes still offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Yellow legged gull - adult roosting on fresh marsh
Little gull - 26 offshore
Sandwich tern - still 5 offshore

Paul

Thanks for your posts Paul , I look for them each day .

Regards Graham

I tried this appeal on the IT forum, but no response.... Since many of you have blogs with Google BlogSpot, I'm hoping one of you might be able to help!
I maintain a birding blog at:
http://birdsoftheheath.blogspot.co.uk/
For the past three years, clicking on an image brings up a slideshow in a new window: suddenly (three days ago!) clicking just generates an enlarged view of the original image....
Anyone know how to revert to the slideshow option?
Cheers!

Hi David.

I'm not sure why your setting would have changed (I've just tried my blog and its still in slideshow mode).

Once you have signed in and gone to your blog overview screen, click on the 'settings' menu from the left hand side at the bottom (marked with a spanner icon). This should give you a list of options below, click on 'posts and comments'. Now on the main screen look at the third option down, 'show images with lightbox'. Select yes here and your images should be shown as a slideshow again.

Hopefully that should sort it.

James

I tried this appeal on the IT forum, but no response.... Since many of you have blogs with Google BlogSpot, I'm hoping one of you might be able to help!
I maintain a birding blog at:
http://birdsoftheheath.blogspot.co.uk/
For the past three years, clicking on an image brings up a slideshow in a new window: suddenly (three days ago!) clicking just generates an enlarged view of the original image....
Anyone know how to revert to the slideshow option?
Cheers!

One last question, promise.

1) The bird was already tame as hell, This natural fear is a common trait in this species.

Hi Jake, I've reproduced and edited you're comment which could be interpreted as a slight contradiction, could it not!

My question is what in your opinion makes the bird tame?

Could it be that certain species rarely encounter human beings from being a juvenile in a remote breeding area and thus have no or little need to fear a human when they first encounter close contact. I have been fortunate to watch Desert Wheatear on their breeding grounds and my thought is they are as tolerant as other breeding wheatear I've encountered...I am not a photographer, but watch from a distance through a telescope eg .. a boring old fart as some might say, of nearly 60 years in my current life.

Regards, Pat

While we're being technical..

I post to Twitter when I'm in the field using SMS from my mobile on Vodafone. This morning's posts didn't seem to be getting through, and I didn't receive any text notifications from birders I follow. Using my PC, I've discovered a message in my Twitter settings saying that my current carrier doesn't allow this any more. Is anyone else having this issue with Vodafone, and is it temporary or have I got to find another carrier? (Any recommendations?)

Stew

Titchwell November 15th

Today's highlights

Hen harrier - male in/off sea mid afternoon
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Long tailed duck - drake offshore
Great northern diver - 1 offshore
Lapland bunting - 1 west over Volunteer Marsh mid morning
Peregrine - juv male sat in dead trees this afternoon
Ruff - 105 on fresh marsh this morning

Paul

Curlew

Evening

Travelling between Langham and Morston this afternoon spotted a Curlew in a stubble field, stopped to have a good look just to make sure, not one Curlew but there must have been a flock of about twenty, scanning across the same field there was also a flock of about 50 Brent Geese.

My wife always say to me when I am driving keep your eyes on the road, glad I wasn't then, she did say afterwards that was a good spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back