• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Five forest birds (1 Viewer)

Peter Kovalik

Slovakia
Jean-Bernard Dongmo, Jeffrey M DaCosta, Champlain Djieto-Lordon, Pierre Ngassam & Michael D Sorenson (2019) Variable phylogeographic histories of five forest birds with populations in Upper and Lower Guinea: implications for taxonomy and evolutionary conservation, Ostrich, 90:3, 257-270, DOI: 10.2989/00306525.2019.1642251

Abstract:

This study evaluates phylogeographic structure in selected forest bird species distributed on either side of the Dahomey Gap in West Africa to extend analyses of avian diversification across the Guineo-Congolean forest. Mitochondrial DNA sequence data were collected for five species, including four with a break in distribution across the Dahomey Gap and one with a more continuous distribution. Data for the five focal species were included in a single analysis along with appropriate outgroup taxa, allowing estimates of divergence time on a common timescale. Both phylogeographic patterns and estimated divergence times were highly variable. In two cases (Green Hylia Hylia prasina and Yellow-whiskered Greenbul Eurillas latirostris), samples from east and west of the Dahomey Gap belong to divergent mitochondrial lineages, but with substantially older divergence in Eurillas (∼4.1 MY). In Western Bluebill Spermophaga haematina, relatively divergent eastern and western lineages (∼1.1 MY) were sampled in the same locality in eastern Ghana, suggesting east to west gene flow across the gap following earlier vicariance. In Forest Robin Stiphrornis erythrothorax, birds sampled within Ghana were from two highly divergent lineages (∼1.9 MY), one of which is more closely related to birds from Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea, such that divergence across the Dahomey Gap was comparatively recent (∼0.36 MY). For both Hylia and Stiphrornis, we corroborate recent studies documenting multiple divergent lineages within each genus, some of which may represent distinct species. Consistent with previous studies, our analysis shows that the Dahomey Gap can be a significant barrier to gene flow for species restricted to forest habitats. At the same time, individual species exhibit a broad range of divergence times and phylogeographic histories of variable complexity. We discuss the taxonomic implications of our results for each focal species.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back