• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New kid on the block ... Theron Questa (1 Viewer)

Peter,

I would agree. Excellent comparison. My experiences tend to mirror some of your comments.

One interesting point of discussion though, the field of view in the Questa 10x is listed at 336 feet while the Zeiss is listed at 330 feet and yet your observation was that the Zeiss had a wider apparent field of view. I wonder if this perception is related to either....

1) The difference between the depth and width of the eyecups or....

2) The type of edge performance represented in each model.....

That is assuming the Theron isn't narrower than listed specs or the Zeiss wider.

Peter,

I would agree. Excellent comparison. My experiences tend to mirror some of your comments.

One interesting point of discussion though, the field of view in the Questa 10x is listed at 336 feet while the Zeiss is listed at 330 feet and yet your observation was that the Zeiss had a wider apparent field of view. I wonder if this perception is related to either....

1) The difference between the depth and width of the eyecups or....

2) The type of edge performance represented in each model.....

That is assuming the Theron isn't narrower than listed specs or the Zeiss wider.

Hi Frank. Interesting, I didn't think to check the Zeiss FOV specs. The perception of a wider field was definite for me but I agree it could be down to the size and shape of oculars and eyecups - the Questas are distinctly recessed compared to the Zeiss which sit very close below the line of the closed eyecups. It is not a matter of eye relief - I can see the hard margins of the field of view clearly in both, regardless of edge performance. cheers, Peter

I was just wondering in general say......

How long will it be before we will get 32mm roofs with field flatteners from China.

I should imagine that it may be a not to distant thing, probably testing such models as I type.

Would be good especially as a little extra weight in a 32mm wouldn't hurt to much.

Maybe I have a pair already as these Kowa SV 8x32 seem about as flat and sharp to the edge as I could ever need especially with the eyecups down although I think they have some barrel distortion which is in no way disagreeable. Would field flatners even really be a further benefit?

I guess if it can improve the 42 models then the same should apply for the mid size? I've never tried the other SV 8x32. You know the cheap one at 2 grand.

Last edited:
Clive,

You bring up some interesting points. However, my gut tells me that a 32 mm field flattened binocular based off of the Questa style design isn't going to happen.

1) I have heard nothing about it from any of my "sources" that utilize those manufacturers.

2) The Prime HD has been around for two years now. You would think that after two years there would be an 8x32 of the same design already out there.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and there is one on the drawing board somewhere. It would certainly be a big hit now with the redesigned eyecups. Everyone I have shown the Questa to has been amazed at the design including several Swaro SV owners.....especially when I mention the price.

Well that confirms it. I do have one then as these Kowa SV eyecups are great! 3:)

but seriously it seems a curious situation to some-one like myself without much experience of these flat field models although I have briefly looked through the 42mm 10x SV and also a Nikon 32mm HG and I never was struck by anything dramatic flat field wise or sharp to the edge so is there also just a certain amount of hype to it all? Is it a bit like ED glass hype.

Now dialectric prisms. That's a good thing and basically universal now although even these Kowa SV (not dialectric as far as I know) can seem to control the light better at times than my two dialectric bins. It's as if the Kowa doesn't overdo things and as I've said before as if it has a very sort of orderly view. I can't remember the word I used before sort of well presented, very unfussy. They work especially well in evening light and also murky conditions. I'm still very surprised by them as a base model but my Sapphire is in another sharpness, colour and even bigger view league although it's not as undistorted but I really don't care at all as it's so good otherwise. Actually I've never seen anything like it before that has impressed me so much and I even owned the original early model for 3 years.

This is hilarious. It's a lovely clear bright evening sky here and I'm just watching all these crazy tumbling pigeons doing their routine. Must be some-one nearby owns them. Using the Kowa as it gives pure clear edges to the birds and it's my usual by my side at the computer bin and it makes them very distinct even at distance. There are about 20 birds and they fly along and then about 8 or ten of them will just suddenly do a tumble to earth before coming out of the spin and regrouping and doing it all again. Great.

Last edited:
Bob,

Having owned all three it seems pretty curious that they are strikingly similar in specs and design. My guess is that either all three are made by a third party or one is/was potentially making all three designs. I do know ZR is doing OEM work so it is entirely possible they are/were manufacturing all three models. All of this is just guesswork on my part.

Frank,

ZR's website information says it has an address in Beaverton, Oregon and says to send warranty repair work to Beaverton, Oregon which is where Leupold also is located.

I haven't been able, so far, to find out much about Theron's warranty or where Theron has its warranty work done or even where the company is located. This information should be included with their new binoculars. Do you have that info?

By the way, I have a Leupold 7x42 BX-2 Cascade binocular which says on the binocular that it is made in Japan. It isn't FMC but it is never the less a very good binocular. I got it late in 2011. I believe these morphed into the FMC Hawthornes which no longer appear on the Leupold website or in their 2015 PDF Catalog although the BX-2 Cascades are still there in 8 and 10x42--The 7x42 is gone. I don't know where these are currently being made.

Bob

Last edited:
Yes, that appears to be the same bin. The only difference is in the listed field of view...a 0.2 degree difference.

Also, as a point of reference, their use of the term "Bak7" does not mean bk7 but is rather a glass with similar qualities to the more widely known Bak-4.

Bob,

The warranty on the Questas is one year no-fault repair/replacement and lifetime manufacturer defect. Bottom line on the page below....

http://theronoptics.com/QUESTA_HD-ED_BINOCULARS.html

Theron Optics is the house brand for Predator Optics. Company info for Predator Optics is.....

Predator Optics
W 276 N. 9238 Redwing Road
Hartland, WI 53029
262-349-2889

OK. Thanks.

That is where one should inquire about warranty work? Right?

By the way--I do not have any Theron binoculars in case you are wondering.;)

Bob

Bob,

Yes, I would email Predator Optics about warranty work for the Theron models.

...and I kinda figured you didn't have any Theron models since they don't make a 7x ..... ;)

Clive,

You bring up some interesting points. However, my gut tells me that a 32 mm field flattened binocular based off of the Questa style design isn't going to happen.

1) I have heard nothing about it from any of my "sources" that utilize those manufacturers.

2) The Prime HD has been around for two years now. You would think that after two years there would be an 8x32 of the same design already out there.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and there is one on the drawing board somewhere. It would certainly be a big hit now with the redesigned eyecups. Everyone I have shown the Questa to has been amazed at the design including several Swaro SV owners.....especially when I mention the price.

http://www.vixenoptics.com/Vixen-New-Atrek-II-8-x-32-DCF-Binocular-p/14723.htm

Nice catch Clive. Definitely a good start. Now if they stuck ED glass in the objective design it would be next on my list to review.

Nice catch Clive. Definitely a good start. Now if they stuck ED glass in the objective design it would be next on my list to review.

I hope somebody tries one and you guys seem to get them cheaper stateside.

I'd prefer dialectric prism coating but I still think I will be wanting one of these since I like my Viking Vistron 8x25 so much and this Vixen seems to be the same model or closely based but the Vistron already has a very flat sharp (well it's not very sharp overall) to edge at 7 deg and they now Vixen seem to have increased it to 7.5 and introduced the flatner. I really don't know why they don't make a high end model of this as I think it would be superb as a small go anywhere bin but one with a proper decent view for a compact such as I get with the Vistron and hence why I use it regularly and will continue to do so and it's really amazingly glare resistant also somehow. I couldn't even induce any in low strong evening sun.

I'd say there will eventually be such a model. Maybe another year or so. Perhaps NIkon will do a 25mm M7 version if they know whats good for them otherwise the Chinese will certiainly and take a lot of sales.

I have the M7 30mm but it's just not really a compact, more a small midranger but the Vistron 8x25 is a compact and could easily be upgraded to M7 standard in fact even that Vixen 8x32 is virtually a compact, smaller and lighter than the M7 30mm.

There definitely is a lack of good compacts whereas it's easy to get any number of good mid and large size bins.

Last edited:
Clive, just a word of caution about the Atrek II: I believe that the original Atreks were not phase coated, and I do not see any reference to phase coatings in the description of these new ones. Nowadays most $200 roofs have phase coatings, but I would not assume it in this case.

Clive, just a word of caution about the Atrek II: I believe that the original Atreks were not phase coated, and I do not see any reference to phase coatings in the description of these new ones. Nowadays most $200 roofs have phase coatings, but I would not assume it in this case.

Thanks Peat. I'll keep an eye on it all.

Here they are asking about $300+ for the 8x32 but that's M7 territory and that's got ED and Dielectric coatings so they seem a bit optimistic or else it really is brilliant?

I think there will be a lot more options of small bins like this new Atrek II to follow and I trust BF will get to the bottom of it and weed out the chaff and until then I'll just have to enjoy my Vistron and the other 5 new bins I acquired this summer, the latest being this amazing little Papilio II 6.5x. It's a makes-you-smiler for sure :))

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back