• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hand Holding a GS52 GA ED (1 Viewer)

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
Just been playing around with my scope and an old pistol grip from the days when I used to shoot 35mm film and had a long lens. I was truly amazed to find that with the pistol grip attached to the screw hole closest to the eyepiece on the mounting bracket the scope was beautifully balanced to handhold. I was using it with full zoom and getting no shake at all. Can't wait for the freeze to end so I can try this out on the local reservoir, if this is as good when watching wildfowl across a stretch of water I might just leave the tripod at home full time.

I reckon other small scopes should be usable on a pistol grip.
The only problem with my grip is there isn't a second pin so the scope can swivel. Nothing too much to correct though.

Attachments

• picture 1.JPG
    picture 1.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 149
  • picture 2.JPG
    picture 2.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 177
The pistol grip is at least 20 years old, if not more, and is something I bought when I used to shoot 35mm film for use with a 300mm lens. I bought it from a camera shop in Leeds, may have been Jessops or Bass and Bligh. The only thing I can say for sure is it carries a made in Japan sticker, no makers name. The grip is plastic with metal inserts and a standard threaded nut to screw to the scope. There isn't a second pin so the scope can twist but a few minutes with drill will cure that. It has a trigger and fitting for a remote release cable so it may even be possible to use as a digiscoping rig. I'll play about a bit more after the holidays as I've got the Opticron digiscoping attachment for the eyepiece, really all I'd need to find is the original remote cable.

Thanks Keith, I will try and find out a bit more about the grip in the new year.

... Can't wait for the freeze to end so I can try this out on the local reservoir, if this is as good when watching wildfowl across a stretch of water I might just leave the tripod at home full time.

Looks like this freeze is here for a while longer.

Can you let us know how it goes please, I would be really interested in your thoughts.

Thanks again and have a great Christmas.

Thanks Keith,:t:

Where would I get a grip from? What make is it?

The Chinese do make pistol grips (though not as well(over)-built as the older movie camera ones). They're inexpensive and you'll see them under a range of brands (e.g. Zhumell and the like).

I've used pistol grips on a few different small scopes. I think I wouldn't go above about 20x to 25x with them. I did try a Opticron MM1 at 25x but that's bit on the high side.

I suspect and angled scope might work better than a straight scope as it lets you tuck in your arms by your chest.

But the one thing was clear is how you hold the grip makes a difference and a two handed grip can work rather well.

The Chinese do make pistol grips (though not as well(over)-built as the older movie camera ones). They're inexpensive and you'll see them under a range of brands (e.g. Zhumell and the like).

I've used pistol grips on a few different small scopes. I think I wouldn't go above about 20x to 25x with them. I did try a Opticron MM1 at 25x but that's bit on the high side.

I suspect and angled scope might work better than a straight scope as it lets you tuck in your arms by your chest.

But the one thing was clear is how you hold the grip makes a difference and a two handed grip can work rather well.

Thanks for the info Kevin.:t:
When I get one I think it will be the angled version.

Just been playing around with my scope and an old pistol grip from the days when I used to shoot 35mm film and had a long lens. I was truly amazed to find that with the pistol grip attached to the screw hole closest to the eyepiece on the mounting bracket the scope was beautifully balanced to handhold. I was using it with full zoom and getting no shake at all. Can't wait for the freeze to end so I can try this out on the local reservoir, if this is as good when watching wildfowl across a stretch of water I might just leave the tripod at home full time.

How do you find the Opticron's optical performance?

How do you find the Opticron's optical performance?

Optically I find it almost as good as my previous scope, the Kowa 823, with the added bonus of substantially less weight.
I use the SDL eyepiece which gives between 12x and 40x mag on this scope. Major problem I have at the mo is getting onto the bird, the scope body is so short and I'm used to the 823 body so I find I'm aiming to one side all the time...but that will pass with more usage.

Hi Keith,
Have you managed to try this out on your local reservoir yet?

Deano

Sorry folks...yeah I have tried it out and with the simple pistol grip it gave pretty good results. Not as rock steady as a tripod but by clamping my arm to my chest I could happily id the ducks across the water.
Sadly the minute I attached the camera the balance was all to cock and I could not use it for digiscoping but for general viewing it was pretty good. So much so that I'm going to leave the tripod at home this year when we go on holiday.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back