• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a photo printer (1 Viewer)

sbrasuel

I have been out of the printer market for some time and need to catch up. I need a good photo printer. Are the new 6,8,10 pen printers worth it? I find a lot of reviews but no good sites with reliable ratings. I would appreciate your list of top 5 printers and any links to good websites.

Thanks!

I have been out of the printer market for some time and need to catch up. I need a good photo printer. Are the new 6,8,10 pen printers worth it? I find a lot of reviews but no good sites with reliable ratings. I would appreciate your list of top 5 printers and any links to good websites.

Thanks!

Hi sbrasuel

I would say go for Hewlett Packard from here. I have never used other types (except Lexmark, which I did not like at all) so I cannot comment on others here

The good points about pen printers in general is that they are affordable price, and the replacement cartridges do not cost the earth to buy each time.

Laser printers are costly, and the cartridges costly.

Personally I own a HP Photosmart 3210 (Inkjet) all-in-one (bought from Curry's), and it is a good one.
We bought ours, about a year ago and it has given no trouble at all. It is easy to install without all the guddle attached.
The price of a replacement cartridge is around about £6.00 each, or buy them as a pack for around £27 for all 6 pen colours (with photo paper as an extra freebie each time!)

Another handy thing to know is that you can get normal sized cartridges and large cartridges (yes twice the amount of ink). I bought them of the internet at a company called

http://www.colourwise.co.uk

(HP cartridges)

They give a good price and give good customer service. I receive my order within 2 days each time.

There will be other ideas here I am sure of that.:t:

PS Just noticed I have all costs as UK money !!

Last edited:
Hi sbrasuel

I am back again ;)

Just thought of the Printer type that I liked the least :-C

The maker Lexmark - I found to be cheap to buy, and the cartridges cost as much as the printer itself :eek!:

The cost of one black cartridge is around £27 a time!!

It also kept breaking down, had endless paper jams, etc.... so it was a very disappointing buy from my own angle here. :-C

Again there will be other opinions on the matter ;)

Last edited:
The new Epson 1400 is a very nice wide-format (up to 13 inches, as opposed to 8.5 for standard printers) printer. I have a 1280, which it kind of replaces. The price is less than $400, which is reasonable for this type of printer. You may think you don't need anything more than letter sized prints, but there is nothing quite like an 11x14 or 12x16 print of one of your images to knock your socks off.

Concerning HP, I know others disagree, but I have to say I have had nothing but trouble with all their peripherals (printers, scanners, cameras, etc). Their computers are OK.

Agree with RAH on his comments about HP, except on their computers, bargepole and touch spring to mind.

How about a Canon?

I also found my Epsons seemed to easily gum up and required lots of cleaning cycle to get going again.
I moved over to Canon, never had any problems and so would also say they are well worthy of your consideration.

Epson, HP and Canon all produce printers that produce brilliant results.

I have been running Epson for years with little trouble, one died under warranty and a large Epson truck turned up gave me a new one and took away the body very quickly. The older the Epson design the more likely it was to gum up. Currently running an R800 as an A3 printer needs too much space.

Cheaper, older HP has always been a bit dubious and I have had problems with those belonging to friends - but again not the latest designs. More expensive HPs are built to last.

No real experience with Canon - don't know anyone with one that prints bigger that 6x4.

Lexmark - I won't argue with the comments of others - seems to go along with reports from friends who have had them.

Why do I stick to Epson - they do what I expect, one epson model photo printer handles just like the last, only better - produce prints that match the screen with little effort and are very light fast - and I can get a top quality A4 printer still.

As for the top 5 - well its a bit like cameras, binoculars etc. most people are like me they run what they think is the best for the money but most printers starting at about £200 sterling upwards will be excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back