• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flying over the Pyrenees (1 Viewer)

steve west

OK, I know someone will have a go about me for mentioning this because it's my own book, so then arrest me.
"Flying over the Pyrenees, Standing on the Plains" is an informative and entertaining look at some of the emblematic birds of northeast Spain and beyond, weaved into a fabric of people, places and personal anecdotes that give the book a special, unique feeling.
At least the people at Subbuteo books like it, as they've decided to be the main distributors in the UK.
If you want to see some details, along with a couple of preliminary downloadable chapters take a look at the books section of my website
http://www.birdinginspain.com

This message is for informative purposes only. No-one is obliging you to buy.

Steve West

OK, I know someone will have a go about me for mentioning this because it's my own book, ..... take a look at the books section of my website

This message is for informative purposes only....

You are sure treading in dangerous waters with your message. But I am glad you did. You have some interesting things on your website. I have not yet had time to study them all.

At this point I'd just like to comment on the "lammergeier" you so prominently display. I mean the name, not the bird. I wish this name would no longer be used in your language as well. Sure, in English it sounds pretty unsuspicious. However, it is nothing more than the direct use of the German name that brought the species close to extinction. As you mention in your sample chapter, the bird had been shot wherever it was encountered in the wrong belief that it actually was a predator going for the lambs (in German Lämmer). Well you say, maybe rightfully, that it was only the stupid people who thought so. But then, stupidity has not been eradicated. There is still - and there will always be - a lot of stupidity in this world that creates havoc or leads to deaths, be that for animals or for people. So, names that misleadingly link a damaging reputation to a species should be avoided. And there are enough occasions where the name is spotted by an uninformed (in this case German speaking) person, such as when it appears on the cover of a book that is displayed in a window of a book store. I am sure, the Bearded Vulture is never called a Lambvulture or Lambs Vulture these days in English. But that is exactly what "lämmergeier" or for that matter "lammergeier" means in German. In this particular case there are
1: a lot of efforts in re-introducing this species that are jeopardised by the use of the name, and
2: With the name Bearded Vulture there is an established second and rightfully descriptive name, that already exists as an alternative. Thus, this name should be promoted wherever the species is mentioned.

We have another name in German where these efforts are still not over: the Grey Heron is still often called Fischreiher in German. Meaning the fish (eating) heron. In this case, it is at least true that it does eat fish, but it eats a lot of other animals, not least of them mice. But because of the fish in its diet it is often killed, and the emphasis of that part of the diet does not help the species. So the name Graureiher, just like the English Grey Heron is being promoted. But those efforts have it hard to be successful. One still hears (and reads) Fischreiher all too often. Particularly by non birders.

Getting back to the "lammergeier": I am sure you have German speaking participants in some of your birding tours. Some of them may not be true birders, just family members of a birder. And while they certainly catch that name lammergeier and immediately make the (wrong) connection, they may not get a possible explanation you might add in English.

Last edited:
Hi Robert

Thanks for the comments, which I recognise as valid. In fact it is a theme which I touched with certain irony in the free chapter which you obviously downloaded. As I am not responsible for English bird nomenclature I can only hope that someone more influential in that field can see your comments and think over what you say!
In fact my opinions are divided on the matter: over here there is the Bonelli's Eagle whose name in Catalan and Spanish was "Partridge Eagle" and it was changed for the same reasons you elicit for Lammergeier to "Bar-tailed Eagle" in Catalan.
While there's a lot in a name there's a whole lot more in ignorance. I think that is the real problem. I also think that if someone is going to kill a bird of prey then they will do it whatever it is called. For me most of the solution to this kind of irrational persecution would be to get the bastards and nail them to the wall.

Steve West

... For me most of the solution to this kind of irrational persecution would be to get the bastards and nail them to the wall.
Steve West

Hi Steve,

I fully subscribe to your last sentence. And to the ones before, for that matter. Many years ago, there was an article in Audubon's Magazine about people shooting all kinds of predators (mostly mammals). And some of them even pretended to do it in the name of God! Hard to believe, but it shows that if one wants to do something, one finds an excuse.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back