• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shore bird help in nyc (1 Viewer)

glide133

These were taken yesterday in queens n.y.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1531664008677.jpg
    FB_IMG_1531664008677.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 77
  • FB_IMG_1531664015401.jpg
    FB_IMG_1531664015401.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 68
1 - two Semipalmated Sandpipers
2 - Yellowlegs, Greater?

1. Both are least sandpipers as can be noted by the dark trailing edge of the underwing and the curved bills and dark lores.

2. This is a very odd looking bird. I’m thinking the angle is presenting something strangely. I honestly don’t have a good guess but yellowlegs doesn’t seem likely based on the eye line. I’d be inclined to say stilt sandpiper but that requires saying the angle of the photo is causing illusions about the bill shape.

#2 looks okay to me for Yellowlegs, Lesser in my opinion. The bill looks too short and straight for Still Sandpiper.

1. Both are least sandpipers as can be noted by the dark trailing edge of the underwing and the curved bills and dark lores.

2. This is a very odd looking bird. I’m thinking the angle is presenting something strangely. I honestly don’t have a good guess but yellowlegs doesn’t seem likely based on the eye line. I’d be inclined to say stilt sandpiper but that requires saying the angle of the photo is causing illusions about the bill shape.

1 - to me the underwing pattern of Semi-P and Least does look pretty much the same, both with dark leading and fairly dark trailing edge. E.g. this SP. I don't find the bill particularly decurved. Why should dark lores rule out SP?

What's with the solid dark breast band isn't that more typical for a breeding SP? Further the bird with the legs exposed to the sun has black legs, hasn't it? Still think Semipalmated Sandpiper

2 - Why should a dark eyeline be a problem for a Yellowlegs?

least sandpipers and lesser yellowlegs for me. leasts because of pointed and downcurved bill shape and strong breast streaking; second bird doesn't at all look like a stilt sand.

1 - to me the underwing pattern of Semi-P and Least does look pretty much the same, both with dark leading and fairly dark trailing edge. E.g. this SP. I don't find the bill particularly decurved. Why should dark lores rule out SP?

What's with the solid dark breast band isn't that more typical for a breeding SP? Further the bird with the legs exposed to the sun has black legs, hasn't it? Still think Semipalmated Sandpiper

2 - Why should a dark eyeline be a problem for a Yellowlegs?

1- The underwing pattern is a reliable way to identify the Least Sandpipers in flight as compared to SemiP and Western, although it can be obscured by photo conditions pretty easily. Least Sandpipers have darker leading and trailing edges, the extent of which is definitive for ID and is shown in this picture. In addition to the bills being decurved, the shape of the bills are that of Least which is subtly more tapered than SemiP, coming to a finer point, and being thinner overall compared to the more blunt tipped and stout bill of SemiP. In this photo I can personally see the underwing pattern most obviously by looking at the thumbnail instead of the full size image. The densely streaked bib that is sharply demarcated from white belly is also definitive compared to the sparser streaks that blend more smoothly into the white belly of SemiP. The right bird can be identified by the bill shape. You probably won't find any literature that says anything about the dark lores of Least Sandpiper. Perhaps it is not a reliable field mark. I am finding it somewhat difficult to put my finger on what it is that stands out about it in the face pattern but my subconscious sees it. I want to say that from experience, the particularly dark lores that contrast more strongly than any other feature of the face pattern is something that can be assimilated with Least Sandpiper AFTER narrowing it down to peep sp. Maybe I am wrong, but when I see that face, it just says Least to me. I will have to see if I can nail it down the next times I'm out observing them in the field.

2. I am perfectly happy to retract Stilt Sandpiper. I didn't like it to begin with and should have kept that one to myself. I agree with Lesser Yellowlegs

Last edited:
I see what you mean... After comparing with more pics online esp. the sharp contrasting, densely dark streaked breast seems wrong for SemiP. Thanks for the educative post Tom.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back