• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

this made my day................ (1 Viewer)

joee1949

Hi folks,

This morning I was just asking members how to attract raptors, having photographed just one Peregrine Falcon in about 7 months.

Later my friend came over and told me, he had seen a black-shouldered kite sitting on a tree near the road to my place.

I went there, no kite. I thought my friend was just teasing me because he didn't show up later as promised. So I just set up my tripod and camera in my old Toyota Troopcarrier. The back benches which normally can seat 8 persons are removed, giving me a lot of space for myself and my photo gear.

After about an hour the kite appeared (again). I took a few shots from a distance of about 30m out of the car window with my 135-400mm zoom, then with my cheapy 1.4 tele-extender on. The bird was still quite small in the viewfinder.

Then I drove on, made a U-turn and crept closer with the car until I was almost under the tree. The kite looked at me and seemed unconcerned, he preened himself, a good sign.

Another series of shots just with the 135-400mm, also out of the car window, then he took off.

This certainly made my day.

You can see the result in my gallery.

Cheers
Joe

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back