• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Retarded football player kicks an Owl during game (1 Viewer)

In which case I suggest you buy a new book, preferably a good dictionary. What is being defended here, at least by me, isn't this person's actions, but that we should reserve the word 'murder' for the uniquely horrorific crime of killing another human. If your definition of murder really is "someone (who) kills something intentionally" then we're all murderers many times over. And, as I've made clear, I think that this is an important distinction,

So I can't spell very well, who gives a toss!! Don't get yer knickers in a twist about some **** you don't know getting called a murderer...I'm guessing nobody else really gives a toss about that either....:-O

This thread has become a word definition discussion and is getting away from the real point. Dont worry Hairy I cant spell either, its not important on a forum like this. John's point about retaining credability is valid and actually very important. I do agree on that, just dont see the use of murder in this instance as crossing that line.

Regardless all our opinions have worth, so enough discussion of english language!

Whats shocking is the fact he didnt question his actions before he did it. In front of thousands of people he did something taht to us is impossible. Its this ingrained ignornace, the pathological lack of empathy we see in people that causes a visceral reaction in all of us here (regardless of our opinions of vocabulary) and that is the real point of the thread.

I think its good we all find the act shocking, hard to understand, and feel the need to comment on it. Lets not devalue that unity by getting caught up in irrelevant discussions. Lets find solace in that collective sympathy for the bird and use bird forum to better our understanding and build networks to ultimatley work together and help birds/wildlife. Ive only been the the forum for a short time, im already seeing those advantages.

My best to all of you B :):t:

So I can't spell very well, who gives a toss!! Don't get yer knickers in a twist about some **** you don't know getting called a murderer...I'm guessing nobody else really gives a toss about that either....:-O

Who said anything about spelling? The problem is using a word that is reserved for humans, because we have decided that killing a human is a much bigger problem than killing an animal such as an owl. This definition could reasonably be extended to chimps or orangutans, but saying that kicking an owl is murder is implying that it is somehow comparable to killing a person.

Honestly, yes this guy is an idiot for treating the owl like that, but this sort of thing happens all the time and if there was no video of it few would care at all.

You can define words however you like but you won't get very far if you insist on using the wrong words.

Who said anything about spelling? The problem is using a word that is reserved for humans, because we have decided that killing a human is a much bigger problem than killing an animal such as an owl. This definition could reasonably be extended to chimps or orangutans, but saying that kicking an owl is murder is implying that it is somehow comparable to killing a person.

Honestly, yes this guy is an idiot for treating the owl like that, but this sort of thing happens all the time and if there was no video of it few would care at all.

You can define words however you like but you won't get very far if you insist on using the wrong words.

Are you being serious?? WHO CARES!!!!

I often say on a friday night after a hard days work ''I could MURDER a pint'', is this wrong? Should I use something else to discribe how thirsty I feel? Perhaps MASSACRE, or EXTERMINATE would be more appropriate? How about SLAUGHTER, thats a good one, no??

There's a big difference between making a casual remark like that not aimed at anyone and clearly using an incorrect word as an angry personal insult.

But Adam, youv'e just made the point perfectly, It's an angry personal insult aimed at an idiot footballer that has killed, murdered, WHATEVER, an Owl...

At the end of the day does it matter what this guy is called?

But Adam, youv'e just made the point perfectly, It's an angry personal insult aimed at an idiot footballer that has killed, murdered, WHATEVER, an Owl...

Well yes it does matter, its the wrong word simple as that.

By all means call him a f****** a******* b****** killer or whatever you like but dont use a word that simply doesnt apply because thats not what the word means, as already pointed out murder is a word that specifically applies to humans.

Are you being serious?? WHO CARES!!!!

I often say on a friday night after a hard days work ''I could MURDER a pint'', is this wrong? Should I use something else to discribe how thirsty I feel? Perhaps MASSACRE, or EXTERMINATE would be more appropriate? How about SLAUGHTER, thats a good one, no??

I care, but I don't care nearly as much as you seem to think everyone should. There are much bigger problems which are much more worth getting angry about, even just in the idea of animal cruelty.

Those words are technically all incorrect, but you aren't badly insulting someone by using them, so exaggerate however much you want.

Yes it does, it is harmful, insulting hyperbole.

The problem is the English language, though usually a precision instrument (though more of a blunt bread knife in my hands), doesn't really have a word for the pointless killing of an animal for fun by a idiot.

I think we should adopt 'wxxkered'. For example, 'two foxes were 'wxxkered today by a bunch of wxxkers in red coats. Meanwhile in shooting news, lots of wxxkers got a strange sensation in their trousers from wxxkering a lot of pheasants on an organised wxxkering at Dudley Estates. Oh, and an owl was wxxkered by a Columbian footballer who was probably wxxkered to the xxxx on cocaine anyway.'

Last edited:
Well, I do seem to have upset a few folks here - never my intention. Apologies too for 'hijacking' this thread.

My comment about the dictionary was entirely with reference to understanding meanings rather than checking spelling (I'm an indifferent speller too). My point is indeed as Reuven and others understood it to be. To me killing humans is another order of magnitude of 'wrongness' than killing animals, however despicable that may be. For me, and I suspect others, to use the term "murder" incorrectly is to make your point less credible. Unfortunately, there is a lunatic fringe out there who do want to equate killing animals with killing humans. They will, and have, used deadly force against people and justify it by equating killing animals with (real) murder. That's one reason why I think we need to maintain the distinction and why it's important to do so,

I watched the film, there's an owl on the pitch that gets hit by the ball unintendedly,
lies groggy and a football player in no hurry kicks the bird off the pitch. Knowing his team is 2-1 down I reckon he's pretty p*ssed and also knowing football players like to use their feet ( wherein lies their skill ) I'm not surprised that the man in a moment of frustration kicks the bird off the field to save time for his team to try and score a goal.

To call him a murderer is way out of line here. Indifference to animal welfare, maybe, but I'm surprised of all the hateful remarks that have been made so far on this thread.

Maybe we should concentrate on the habit that bird mascottes are used for this sort of trivial tribe behaviour. Banning living ( and flying ) mascottes seems a reasonable way to prevent this sort of behaviour in the future.
The reactions that I read are retarded, not the act of the culprit.
The owl has become a metaphore for all of our own discontent; the culprit should suffer our scorn of our daily mishaps. This is all too familiar nowadays.

Think before you react.

Best regards,

Ronald

I watched the film, there's an owl on the pitch that gets hit by the ball unintendedly,
lies groggy and a football player in no hurry kicks the bird off the pitch. Knowing his team is 2-1 down I reckon he's pretty p*ssed and also knowing football players like to use their feet ( wherein lies their skill ) I'm not surprised that the man in a moment of frustration kicks the bird off the field to save time for his team to try and score a goal.

[...]

Of course, because as we all know, a Football game is much more important than the life of an Animal. I'm sure if the Owl had understood the inconvenience it caused, it would have been truly sorry.;)

Chris,

You're exactly making my point here by conveniently not quoting my entire post, but only the part that you can use to wallow along in the pit of anger.

If you had read what I say, you had understood that it is my intention to ban living mascottes in tribal gatherings such as football games.

Best regards,

Ronald

Chris,

You're exactly making my point here by conveniently not quoting my entire post, but only the part that you can use to wallow along in the pit of anger.

If you had read what I say, you had understood that it is my intention to ban living mascottes in tribal gatherings such as football games.

Best regards,

Ronald

Ronald,

I didn't quote the last part of your post because I agreed with most (but not all) of it. I guess I could have picked the parts that I agreed with and commented, but I was in a rush at the time (as I am now).

I only replied to the first part of your post, as you appeared to be defending the actions of the Footballer. I didn't, and still don't, feel any excuses can be made for his behaviour.

Me, I’d prefer “strigicide”, but then I’m really really pedantic. ;)

But I agree with all John’s points. Calling crimes against animals “murder” simply reinforces public perceptions of animal rights advocates as hysterical fanatics.

:t: Absolutely.

To call him a murderer is way out of line here. Indifference to animal welfare, maybe, but I'm surprised of all the hateful remarks that have been made so far on this thread.

No - indifference to animal welfare is neglecting veterinary attention for your dog, or letting your livestock go hungry. I don't give a rat's orifice whether his team was losing a football match - it's only a game. He's not a murderer -just a sorry excuse for a human in dire need of a solid flogging.

Last edited:
Ronald,

I didn't quote the last part of your post because I agreed with most (but not all) of it. I guess I could have picked the parts that I agreed with and commented, but I was in a rush at the time (as I am now).

I only replied to the first part of your post, as you appeared to be defending the actions of the Footballer. I didn't, and still don't, feel any excuses can be made for his behaviour.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I'm certainly not defending the football player, like you I think his behaviour cannot be excused. After watching the film I gave my impressions of what I thought may have triggered his behaviour, and a possible solution for prevention of this sort of incidents in the future, namely banning wild animals from all sporting events.
If it weren't for the superstition of people, mascottes wouldn't be a tool to play around with.

Best regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back