• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma rear drop-in filter (1 Viewer)

AndrewA

Hi,
Can anybody explain to me how to remove the filter from the holder on a sigma rear drop-in filter holder. I dont want to force anything with it but I simply cannot see how the filter is removed from the holder. My original instructions are in storage in the UK and I couldnt find anything on the sigma site.
Thanks
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have a Sigma 300 f2.8 which uses a drop in filter and comes with both a clear UV filter and a polarizing filter- to extract it you simply squeeze the two tabs on the filter holder together (like using a clothes peg) and pull the filter holder out, then screw the second filter into the thread of the filter in the holder until it just bites, then unscrew both filters as they are now attached to one another. Hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
Hi,
Can anybody explain to me how to remove the filter from the holder on a sigma rear drop-in filter holder. I dont want to force anything with it but I simply cannot see how the filter is removed from the holder. My original instructions are in storage in the UK and I couldnt find anything on the sigma site.
Thanks
Andrew

To get it out of the lens do as Geedub says, my filters in a Sigma 300mm and 500mm unscrew from the holder you remove from the lens. I must admit when I first tried it the fit was tight and needed a little effort and it is a finger tip job but they should free up after a few tries.

Hope that's what you were asking for?

EDIT: Geedub, you did an edit and added the unscrew bit just as I posted....lol

Chalky, Can you tell me if the drop in filters you have for your 300 and 500mm lens are inchangeable???? I am looking to purchase a second drop in filter holder for my 500mm.

Chalky, Can you tell me if the drop in filters you have for your 300 and 500mm lens are inchangeable???? I am looking to purchase a second drop in filter holder for my 500mm.

Both, filters and drop-in holders for Sigma lenses that use this kind of rear filter set-up (i.e. 300mm 2.5, 500 4.5, 800 5.6, 300-800 5.6) are identical and interchangeable between the different lenses.
I recently obtained another drop-in holder that houses now one of the polarizers that came with my 300mm and 500mm lenses, as it is much easier to swap filters premounted in holders than screwing filters in and out in the field.
Unscrewing the filter from the holder can be a bit of a challenge, espl. the first time as the factory twist is a bit strong. I found that it helps not to squezze the side of the filter, instead I used a piece of styrofoam or rubber ("sticky" neoprene, neoprene with no nylon backing) pushed gently down on the filterhousing from the top while turning.

Ulli

I think Seaspirit has got there before me, though i did have an old APO 300mm lens which was different from the 500mm.

Sigma drop in filter

Both, filters and drop-in holders for Sigma lenses that use this kind of rear filter set-up (i.e. 300mm 2.5, 500 4.5, 800 5.6, 300-800 5.6) are identical and interchangeable between the different lenses.
I recently obtained another drop-in holder that houses now one of the polarizers that came with my 300mm and 500mm lenses, as it is much easier to swap filters premounted in holders than screwing filters in and out in the field.
Unscrewing the filter from the holder can be a bit of a challenge, espl. the first time as the factory twist is a bit strong. I found that it helps not to squezze the side of the filter, instead I used a piece of styrofoam or rubber ("sticky" neoprene, neoprene with no nylon backing) pushed gently down on the filterhousing from the top while turning.

Ulli

I would like to know where did you buy your drop in filter holder?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back