• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confused by Dowitchers (1 Viewer)

sirijay

Dowitcher-1 was taken in Texas in April a few years back, and Dowitcher-2 was taken in January in Florida. I believe the Texas bird is in its breeding colors, while wintering Florida bird is in its non-breeding colors. I was thinking that Dowitcher-1 was a long-billed and Dowitcher-2 a short-billed -- but when I compare the two I am not sure. Very much appreciate help.

Attachments

• Dowitcer-1.jpg
    Dowitcer-1.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Dowitcher-2.jpg
    Dowitcher-2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 106
Based on the orange/white fringing on the feathers I would say D1 (orange fringing) is a SBD and D2 (white fringing) is a LBD.

See here for further; http://daretobird.blogspot.com/2017/08/dowitcher-identification.html

My interpretation of the linked page differs from yours. I think these are both long-billed. Here's why:

1) Presumably given date, this is an adult in breeding colours. Bars throughout at breast side, no sign of spots. Angle of forehead shallow, no "kink" to supercilium. The shape of the "arrows" in the coverts etc is mainly blunt (white squared off and restricted to near to near tip of feathers, not extending up the side side of the feather--although there are exceptions). Against this, primaries appear long (short-billed character), although not sure how well we can judge this from this angle. Supporting character is bill length (long)

2) here, bill length, forehead angle, supercilium angle, primary projection all suggest long-billed

Happy to be proved wrong: any discussion will be valuable!

I did not realize the level of difficulty in the identification of dowitchers. Despite all of the amazing additional info provided, I am unable to comfortably make a distinction. Thank you all for the discussion and added info. The website that Brian Small sent was very informative - but way beyond my expertise.

I did not realize the level of difficulty in the identification of dowitchers. Despite all of the amazing additional info provided, I am unable to comfortably make a distinction. Thank you all for the discussion and added info. The website that Brian Small sent was very informative - but way beyond my expertise.

Personally, I think that anyone who is not confused by dowitchers, unless they are heard calling, is probably deluding themselves.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back