• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

focal lengh 6000mm?? (1 Viewer)

kakapupu

i'm using CP 990 with Optolyth 80 TBS scope 20-60x.

camera gives 3x magnification 8-24mm (~35-105mm)
and eyepiece at 60x

so maximum focal length is 105mm x60 = 6300 mm ??

is it correct?

Technically it should be referred to as effective focal length (EFL) as you obviously aren't carrying a 21 foot long lens around. This distinguishes it from the focal length quoted on prime lenses which is measured differently.

Hi Kakapupu

I see this is your first post, so may I extend a warm welcome on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

You appear to have had your question answered already I'm pleased to say 'cos I wouldn't have had a clue ;)

D

Yes you have all those mms for viewing but remember that with all those mms you have almost no depth of field and focus for photos is very hard at long distances.

johnruss said:
Yes you have all those mms for viewing but remember that with all those mms you have almost no depth of field and focus for photos is very hard at long distances.

Hi,

Is there a magic formula to calculate the DOF? I assume the longer the EFL, the worse it gets.

BR
Ian

Errr - Yes - thanks for that rezMole!! :h?: Anyone know a good stress counsellor? :-C

I see you have a Tamron 200-500mm in your kit list. Ever had any problems with it. Mine recently seemed to disconnect within and would only focus (manually or AF) right out at 500mm. Its being fixed right now, but I wondered if the problems had been seen elsewhere!

BR
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back