• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Stack, Anglesey (1 Viewer)

Bill@dwp

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?
My daughter and I have planned this for a few weeks so we could see the Puffins so the threat of rain wasn't going to deter us. As it turned out it was dry whilst we were there but rained whilst driving so can't complain about that.
First visit to South Stack and I think it was worth it. Never seen a sea bird colony before so we were going to get some new birds whatever. This is what we got whilst there
Guillemot
Razorbill
Puffin
Herring, lesser black back gulls
Fulmar
whitethroat (saw a couple of pairs)
linnet (saw a couple of pairs)
sedge warbler
rock pipit
chough (only saw them flying about though)
raven
crow
magpie
wheatear (saw a couple of females and a male)
stonechat (saw a couple of pairs)
cormorant
mallard
pied wagtail
swallows
house martins
wren.
I think we saw everything on RSPB whiteboard except for shag, peregrine, and meadow pipit.
also had (nearly run it down) a quail at home before I set off.
The facilities there aren't too bad and the RSPB staff were nice and helpful as well.
I'm sure we could have done more but we didn't have a site map and RSPB dont do them anymore. I think I'll have to plan a bit better next time.
All in all a good day even though we didn't get a volume of species we got great views of most, especially the puffins.

Bill@dwp said:
My daughter and I have planned this for a few weeks so we could see the Puffins so the threat of rain wasn't going to deter us. As it turned out it was dry whilst we were there but rained whilst driving so can't complain about that.

I think we saw everything on RSPB whiteboard except for shag, peregrine, and meadow pipit.
also had (nearly run it down) a quail at home before I set off.
The facilities there aren't too bad and the RSPB staff were nice and helpful as well.
I'm sure we could have done more but we didn't have a site map and RSPB dont do them anymore. I think I'll have to plan a bit better next time.
All in all a good day even though we didn't get a volume of species we got great views of most, especially the puffins.

Hi Bill,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip to South Stack and I have wonderful memories of just taking in the atmosphere on a clear, sunny day. I was familiar with South Stack long before I joined the RSPB and if anyone is visiting during the week 12th - 19th June, stop in and say "hello" because I am over there working on AWBB for a week.

Hi Bill,

Glad you had a memorable first trip. I remember my first trip to South Stack quite a few years back. Like you, I went there to see the seabird colony but got distracted by the report of a Bee-eater on the reserve.
I did eventually see all the seabirds but never did find that damn Bee-eater!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back