• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

please compare two older Alpha 10x42's (1 Viewer)

handwerk

a 2008 SLC Neu and 2012 geovid HD taking the rangefinder function out of the equation, just based on optical performance, which do you feel is a better bino used in good condition, and at the same asking price?

Personally, I would certainly take an SLC Neu over a Geovid if you didn't need the rangefinder.

The SLC Neu series has terrific optics with SwaroBright coatings, and you're getting the Swaro warranty. If you're going to carry around a brick, an SLC Neu is about as good as it gets!

Personally, I would certainly take an SLC Neu over a Geovid if you didn't need the rangefinder.

The SLC Neu series has terrific optics with SwaroBright coatings, and you're getting the Swaro warranty. If you're going to carry around a brick, an SLC Neu is about as good as it gets!

Exactly this. The SLC New is the better binocular. This Geovid compromises some optically to offer both in one unit.

A major consideration with rangefinder binoculars is how the additional RF optics effect the transmission characteristics, as manufacturers use different patented solutions

With the exception of the Swarovski EL Range, all of the major brands suffer from both:
- significant disparity in the transmission between the left and right barrels, and
- abrupt changes in transmission
and hence reduced overall transmission

Compare the available examples from Gijs (mostly in 8x), in post #19 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3883587#post3883587

In use, most don't seem to notice the transmission differences between the barrels, as the brain averages the two images
However, the Geovid HD is not going to have as bright an image across the full visible spectrum as the SLC neu - note the precipitous drop at 600 nm

And weight wise, while the 10x42 SLC is heavy compared to more modern binocuars at 870 g/ 30.7 oz, the Geovid is even heavier at 945 g/ 33.3 oz

John

p.s. and for reference a copy of Swarovski binocular specifications - including the SLC neu's - from a 2005 catalogue

Attachments

• Swarovski Binoculars 2005 catalogue.jpg
    Swarovski Binoculars 2005 catalogue.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
A major consideration with rangefinder binoculars is how the additional RF optics effect the transmission characteristics, as manufacturers use different patented solutions

With the exception of the Swarovski EL Range, all of the major brands suffer from both:
- significant disparity in the transmission between the left and right barrels, and
- abrupt changes in transmission
and hence reduced overall transmission

Compare the available examples from Gijs (mostly in 8x), in post #19 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3883587#post3883587

In use, most don't seem to notice the transmission differences between the barrels, as the brain averages the two images
However, the Geovid HD is not going to have as bright an image across the full visible spectrum as the SLC neu - note the precipitous drop at 600 nm

And weight wise, while the 10x42 SLC is heavy compared to more modern binocuars at 870 g/ 30.7 oz, the Geovid is even heavier at 945 g/ 33.3 oz

John

p.s. and for reference a copy of Swarovski binocular specifications - including the SLC neu's - from a 2005 catalogue

John, you do happen to have any reading material on the optical compromises that must be made when designing an integrated range finder? I have always preferred a separate bino + LRF monocular set-up due to cost and redundancy in observation equipment but was curious about the Geovids after some recommendations. If the optical deficiencies are too great, I may never decide to upgrade unless technology significantly improves.

Hi Arthur,

I’ve not read about the subject generally, so perhaps someone will be able to provide some references about the technical issues related to the design of binocular rangefinders

What I have found is a limited amount of detail about specific product lines
There are some cutaway images, but as can be seen they mostly show the non-laser optics together with the electronics
More usefully, there a number of patents that do show detail of the laser related optics, along with descriptions

n.b. while most binocular RF’s project the laser from one of the barrels, some have an externally mounted laser
e.g. both the 2nd and 3rd generation Leica Geovids and the Meopta MeoRange (in contrast to the MeoPro Optika LR)

In relation to the Swarovski EL Range:
- I’ve attached 2 patents that include detailed images and descriptions, and
- additional information with 4 images provided by Jan van Daalen can be found in post #8 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3240001
Jan’s confirmation as to the lack of a beam splitter, is probably the key to explaining the Swarovski’s superior optical performance

In relation to the two generations of Zeiss binocular RF’s, the only detail that I’ve found is a patent and an additional cut away image,
both of which are for the 1st generation version

There have been 3 generations of Leica Geovids:
- the first using Porro prisms (a rebadged Vectronix)
- the second using Uppendahl prisms
- the most recent using Perger prisms
And I’ve attached a number of patents and images

And finally the Meopta MeoRange patent

So lots to occupy those who are technically inclined

John

Attachments

• EL Range.jpg
    EL Range.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 11
  • Zeiss Gen 1.jpg
    Zeiss Gen 1.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 12
  • US20090303457A1 - Swarovski.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • US8441621B2 - Swarovski.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • US2009: 0174939A1 - Zeiss Gen 1.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
And the Meopta MeoRange patent . . .

Attachments

• Meopta 1.jpg
    Meopta 1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Meopta 2.jpg
    Meopta 2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 13
  • US10119815 - Meopta.pdf
    744.9 KB · Views: 4
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back