• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starlingville...Kent (1 Viewer)

Themoog

Some Starlings have tuned into our ready supply of mealworm in the new feeder and are now treating the place like a roadhouse bar.

Not the most polite or well mannered of birds but amazing to watch.

Only problem is they are monoplising the mealworm at the expense of the Tits and other birds who seemed to like it too prior to the 'Starling Chapter' parking their bikes on the front lawn, so to speak. The other species are not getting a look in at Casa Mealworm anymore.

I've sort of got it set up so the feeder is almost resting on a branch whilst being suspended from another. This permits the bigger Startlings to offset their normal weight disadvantage and feed freely and deeply.

Some of the Starlings are yellow beak. About 40-50% or so of maybe ten to twelve hangin' out.

Were I to reposition the feeder into a 'suspension only' location they might not get the purchase they want to feed in such numbers. It may certainly slow them down a bit and possibly permit other visitors to enjoy the food.

I also have nuts, mixed seeds and suet available. The Starlings appear strictly to like their chow in mealworm form.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

Tm

Update

They've emptied a 14 inch feeder tube that I filled just over an hour ago.

Gone.

It's like watching Piranhas fight over a carcass.

Everything else has fled apart from the odd Collared Dove who seem oblivious.

Tm

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back