• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured crow - info needed (1 Viewer)

AnnaW

Hi

Two days ago I found an injured crow who appears to have a broken wing. I have boxed him and he has eaten the various meats and grains that I've fed him, but he is frightened and currently escape seems to be his main priority.

I have called around some local vets who told me the only thing they would be able to do if I took the bird to them would be to euthenise him. Since he is still so very much alive and kicking I cannot accept this "solution". Is there anything else that can be done as regards his injury? Can anyone suggest a local centre (Essex, UK) to which I can take him for humane treatment, or am I being unrealisic in thinking he can be rehabilitated?

I have successfully reared and released young injured birds in the past though in these instances it has been clear from the start that the bird would eventaully be fit enough (and still wild enough) for release. I am happy to care for the crow indefinately, but am greatly concerned about the stress he is under in addition to not being sure how best to treat his injury.

Any advice will be greatfully received.

Hi Anna and a warm welcome to BirdForum.net. Although I am sorry it is under these conditions. The fact that you care so much for the outcome of the bird is to be applauded.

Hopefully, someone in your area will reply soon with the names of local rehabilitators in your area. Vets this time of year are inundated with calls like this and I guess they get a bit overwhelmed. Keeping my fingers crossed that someone will supply a name or two to you shortly.

Thank you

Thankyou to everybody who kindly took to the time reply to my message.

I sought advice from an RSPCA vet who told me that the injury was too severe to for humane treatment so the bird did in the end need to be put to sleep. It was an upsetting result but thankyou again for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back