• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Grosbeak (?) Oregon Coast (1 Viewer)

rwhillman

I am stumped and help is appreciated. Maybe Grosbeak, but I have no confidence in this.
Bob

Attachments

• _MG_8926.jpg
    _MG_8926.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 91
  • _MG_8929.jpg
    _MG_8929.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 86
Thanks. I am also having trouble with the match. I would have thought with a towhee there would have been more white visible on the breast, but maybe I just don't have a good angle with the photos.

Having checked the books it is youngster and they have a much duller plumage - it is starting to moult into an adult plumage hence the rusty flanks coming through (but no white yet). I would guess this inbetween juvenile and adult plumage isn't regularly shown in books or photos.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi All,

I agree with Andrew's and Gerd's assessment. The dull colored iris and loose looking feathers suggest a young bird, although the brownish tones may be formative feathers of a female bird. Also, the rufous flanks are pretty extensive on this species and I think that the angle alone could account for the white belly not being visible. An example:
http://www.birdsofwestwood.com/images/birdpics/stowheeA.jpg

Just out of curiosity, when was the picture taken?

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back