• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds Hold Funerals For Fallen Comrades (1 Viewer)

Wow, fascinating! Western Scrub Jays--beautiful, intelligent, confiding--are probably my favorite birds but I never would have believed it, even of them! I watch the resident flock in my backyard every day & am continually struck by the complexity (& opacity, for the most part) of their behavior, particularly their interactions with their fellows. The only dead one I've ever seen was in the claws of a Cooper's Hawk a year or 2 ago, but the carcass was carried off & plucked & eaten elsewhere so there was no opportunity to see how other jays might have reacted.

I have heard of similar behaviours amongst the Crow family. Endearing but also a reminder that all sentient beings must have emotions and feelings.

Not necessarily Petopan... After all, the article says:

"The researchers think this behavior might have evolved in order to warn other birds of potential nearby danger, lowering their risk of encountering whatever killed the original bird".

That sounds like a survival technique to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back