• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Nanaimo, BC (Vancouver Island) (1 Viewer)

Naturalist

Naturalist
Hi Everyone,
As a career naturalist/nature interpreter, I get to guide others on nature experiences. For the last few days, I have been out and about with visitors.

On Newcastle Island, we saw a diversity of forest birds (creepers, nuthatches, woodpeckers), turkey vultures, kingfishers, purple martins, comorants and a few other waterbirds. Of the non-avian variety, we saw Columbia black-tailed deer & tracks, raccoon tracks in the mud and even a huge mound of Thatching ants.

The highlight was definitely the bald eagle that catches food thrown above our heads off the wharf, then flew to its nest to feed its young and a seal that takes food almost out of your hands.

In another park we saw a barred owl and its half-grown chick. The mobbing by robins gaves it away.We found half of a snake that they attempted to feed thier young. An osprey called to its fledging young overhead, not far from its nest.

In Buttertubs Marsh Conservation area, we spotted a pied-billed grebe on its nest, a female lesser scaup, 7 wood ducks, including half-grown ducklings, cedar waxwings, marsh and Bewick's wrens, tree swallows in their nest boxes, for a total of 35 species at this location. Not bad for a late morning mid-summer stroll.

Of course, my visitors also learned about the general geology, natural and cultural history of the area and each location. Great fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back