• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello and Help with Blackbird! (1 Viewer)

IrishHazel

Hi

I am living in Ireland and recently moved to the country. We have many wild birds in our garden, including a rather mixed-up male Bladkbird. He keeps banging up against the windows of the house -he hits the window at about 3 ft from the ground and kind of flutters his way up the window. He can keep doing this for up to half an hour at a time - does anyone have a way to discourage him? He will either knock himself out or destroy my window o:D

Has anyone had this problem or is this just a particularly stupid bird?

Cheers

Hazel

Hi Hazel and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Your bird is seeing its reflection in your window and treating it as an interloper. If you could cover the window with some screening or something similar, it might stop it. This usually continues until breeding season is over with.

Hi Hazel and a warm welcome from me too

I'm sure you will enjoy it here

D

LOL your Blackbird seems to have the right ump LOL you could go out there and tell him its only his reflection and he is not impressing the ladies at all.

Oh and welcome to the madhouse, your going to love it hear !!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the information - unfortunately I can't screen the windows as he is so stupid he moves along the side of the house and attacks ALL the windows in turn - especially at dawn which is about 5.30 am at the moment!

I guess I'll just have to forgive him since he does sing beautifully on the hedgerow. Maybe if he finds a mate he will calm down a bit.

This is a great forum - I'm really enjoying it.

Cheers

Hazel

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back