• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Briefly hovering like a Kestrel but at a high altitude. Aintree NW UK (yesterday) (1 Viewer)

I'm struggling to make this into a Merlin.

The first two photos show a slim, long-tailed falcon. I think the wings are fairly narrow at the base, though I could be wrong. The third image seems to show a shorter tail, but this is almost certainly due to angle.

Behavior sounds more like a kestrel to me, too. I have occasionally seen Merlins flying high on migration, and rarely soaring as well, but American Kestrels do this far more often. I suspect that is similar in the (Common) Kestrel, too (?).

Perhaps the thick terminal tail tip is suggesting Merlin to some? I wonder if Kestrel undertail pattern can look like this at times, too.

I'm struggling to make this into a Merlin.

The first two photos show a slim, long-tailed falcon. I think the wings are fairly narrow at the base, though I could be wrong. The third image seems to show a shorter tail, but this is almost certainly due to angle.

Behavior sounds more like a kestrel to me, too. I have occasionally seen Merlins flying high on migration, and rarely soaring as well, but American Kestrels do this far more often. I suspect that is similar in the (Common) Kestrel, too (?).

Perhaps the thick terminal tail tip is suggesting Merlin to some? I wonder if Kestrel undertail pattern can look like this at times, too.

It's a tricky angle, and little plumage detail is visible, so perhaps it is a Kestrel after all. I'd like to see some more images to be sure either way...

It's a tricky angle, and little plumage detail is visible, so perhaps it is a Kestrel after all. I'd like to see some more images to be sure either way...

Sorry Steve, that's all I could take as it quickly came into view.

The reason I didn't take any more of the bird soaring or hovering is because - if it wasn't for bad luck then I wouldn't have any luck at all - the battery warning light flashed and I needed to change it. By the time I swapped the batteries it was too high in the clouds to be identified as anything really.

But I made a mental note of its behaviour.

Sorry Steve, that's all I could take as it quickly came into view.

The reason I didn't take any more of the bird soaring or hovering is because - if it wasn't for bad luck then I wouldn't have any luck at all - the battery warning light flashed and I needed to change it. By the time I swapped the batteries it was too high in the clouds to be identified as anything really.

But I made a mental note of its behaviour.

There is no problem, identification is 100% certain, your bird doesn't have at all the shape of a (Eurasian) Merlin. Shape and behaviour of Merlin in North America is different (and American Kestrel is strikingly different from Common Kestrel), so I understand doubts can come from the other side of the pond :)

Can’t remember exactly where I read it (many years ago) of a pilot in a light aircraft over the midlands looking out of the cockpit and was somewhat astonished at the sight of a Kestrel hovering (not too far away) a quick glance to his altimeter showed 7000’!!! This was later explained as the bird taking advantage of the visibility and “mapping” the “urinal” UV trails left by rodents on the ground....somewhat amazing!...wish I had a pair of mince pies like that. :eek!:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back