• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ducks - Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
No way to get close to these fellows, but I spent quite a bit of time puzzling through the binoculars at a mixed flock of Common Coot, Great Crested Grebe, Common Pochard and these. This is the best photo I was able to get of the questionable ones. It looked to me through the bins that there are four Common Pochard here, two on the far right and two on the far left. The Center four struck me a having heavier bills, all dark colored with no terminal band, quite broad at the base, narrowing at the tip. The heads also didn't look as rounded as the Pochard to me, more elongated.

Certainly looked like Canvasback to me. Out of normal range I know, but I see that Brazil's does list them as accidental to NE China.

Need to run it by here to see if its just my North American bias.

Attachments

• Canvasback ?.jpg
    Canvasback ?.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 117
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back