• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars and driving.... (1 Viewer)

Don't fancy the idea of being smacked on my spectacles by a plastic bag inflating at 200mph but I need to wear spectacles. And a 200mph slap on the nose doesn't sound pleasant even without spectacles and for that matter a 200mph tap on the chest without binos hanging there would seem to be a heart-threatening event unless they are designed to finish inflating before encountering your body or face.

Lee

Airbag inflation plus seat-belt tensioning was enough to fracture my clavicle 5 years ago. I had managed to live out four decades without ever breaking a bone until then. I can't imagine how much damage binoculars would have done. That's why I keep them in the door compartment in my car, where they are still readily accessible.

If your air bag deploys on its own and you are traveling at high speed, the chances are that whether you have binoculars strapped around your neck or not will likely be irrelevant. I was working two weeks ago here in Southeast Pa. and was driving my truck up a densely wooded area, a two foot diameter tree fell across the road about 20 seconds after I passed by, when your time is up, it is up, so just go on and enjoy the view and stop worrying about air bag deployment. I have an old truck it does not have air bags, do I worry about it, no.

A.W.

A.W.

If your air bag deploys on its own and you are traveling at high speed, the chances are that whether you have binoculars strapped around your neck or not will likely be irrelevant. I was working two weeks ago here in Southeast Pa. and was driving my truck up a densely wooded area, a two foot diameter tree fell across the road about 20 seconds after I passed by, when your time is up, it is up, so just go on and enjoy the view and stop worrying about air bag deployment. I have an old truck it does not have air bags, do I worry about it, no.

A.W.

We don't drive on motorways with binos and never if we need to make speed but on quiet roads in Scotland where half a dozen sheep on the road are far more likely than a collision, we think its a reasonable risk.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back