• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

90s era B&L Discoverer 7x35 porro any good? (1 Viewer)

slingworks

Hello,

came across a pair of B&L Discoverer bins in 7x35. Curious about them. for sale online so I can't really test in hand.

Are they optically bright and sharp? How do they compare to the older zephyr? (It looks like maybe just an updated zephyr).

What is a reasonable market value? These look pretty decent, seller says they're real clean. no case or paperwork...

If I were after a pair of older porros, would I be better to look for a pair of older Kowa Prominar or featherweight or these? thanks!

I can't speak to the Discoverer. I do have a like new B&L 8x30 Zephyr. The Zephyr is a top class binocular, but only single coated. They are also built pretty stout. I would venture a guess the Discoverer with more modern multi coatings might be brighter, but the Zephyr is far better built. The Zephyr will have collector interest and will cost more, but may ned servicing. The Discoverer may well need servicing with its age as well. Buying used binoculars on line is a pure crap shoot. Buyer beware.

I think you would be better served to look at a new Nikon Aculon in 7x35, if that is your preference. Those can be had for less than $100 new.

Hi Steve, I appreciate your reply.

I've never tried any of the lower end Nikons before, although there is a shop I know that stocks Nikons...Maybe I'll try one out of they have on hand.

Been shopping for a good classic porro CF bin. I've tried to like Roofs, but not many I find appeal to me.

Those discoverers, from what I can tell, look to literally be a Japanese Zephyr with full multicoatings.

Just found I have a very good condition 7x35 Discoverer with a fine case and embroidered wide strap.

Part multicoated, part single coated and part uncoated.

Very slow focus.

Very sharp, but curved field and a lot of edge pincushion distortion.

Very clean inside.
Nice multiple grooves/baffles inside front barrels.

Field seems small, but marked as 7.5 degrees probably accurate.

Not marked Japan just Bausch and Lomb.

Seems like a nice binocular but I usually use wider fields.

I'll try it at night.

B.

Alignment good.

Although the binocular is in very good condition, regreasing would I think help focus and slight stiction.

The brown leather lined case doesn't say Japan.

I didn't see any noctlucent cloud although there was much topospheric cloud.

Mars was the correct warm colour.

The ISS, International space station, was very white.
3.11 a.m. to 3.15.40 BST.
Azimuth 260 to 80.
Maximum elevation about 60 degrees.
Magnitude minus 3.5 about.
ISS was a bit bloated, but this seems normal in binoculars.

Star fields were nice.

Almost no glare from street light but moderate ghosting, which is absent in 10x42P Elite.
7x35 would benefit from better fully multicoating rather than average partial coatings.

The twilight sky was brighter in the 7x35 Discoverer than the 10x42P Elite, probably due to the larger exit pupil.

The 7x35 Discoverer is a well made, pleasant enough binocular, but I probably prefer a Nikon Aculon, Action etc.

B.

Weight of 7x35 Discoverer is about 651g.

(684g with Bausch and Lomb name strap).

It has round exit pupils.

10x42P Elite 801g.

7x35 Discoverer minimum IPD 50.0mm.

B.

Last edited:
Ok, now it's 2-1/2 years on and I finally bought a pair of Discoverers, 7x35's!

Condition wise they're really clean. Probably 99%. Super clean glass, look and smell like new. (Now when I say smell, they do have that slight decaying enamel smell you get from Japanese bins).

What do I think? They're pretty decent Maybe I'm a shade disappointed though. If you ask me they're exactly the same thing as a Japanese made 7x35 Zephyr. I see no difference physically or optically. Only some minor difference in trim. Perhaps that's exactly what they were all along! LOL.

I guess I was expecting those discoverers to be a Zephyr with a little of a multi-coated wow factor?

Still a good bin.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back