• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dealing with non-English characters. (1 Viewer)

jthoppes

spectacled spiderhunter
I've just been trying to make a redirect for the Swedish island of Öland.

This looks like it works fine within opus.

On the bf front page it instead generated a string of text like this: Öland leading to a blank entry. I tried replacing that with a redirect and it generated another one looking like this: Öland

So, how do I make a redirect accessible to Swedes and non-Swedes alike without winding up in this hall of mirrors?

Furthermore, do we need to actually banish all of these things from the location entries? The same bug recurs when editing full entries.

I am actually surprised that it works, and I cannot regenerate your strange strings. However, I would like to have Ollie answer if using characters like this would be likely to generate strange results in the future, just as we saw with people having used & sign or quotation marks in titles. Inside a text I would not have any problem with using country-specific letters, but I am leery about the use in titles.

Cheers
Niels

There were a load of these at the beginning.

I don't think it's a good idea to use umlauts and accents in the article titles - they seem fine within the article though

D

I agree with Delia. No umlauts (our nice german ä, ö and ü), no accents (é è à ô) in the titles. But they should be in the entry text. This makes it also easier if you are searching for a site with a special sign.

André

One difficulty I have found is with Brazilian names - I am finding a little square box - I haven't a clue what the name of the place should be. This is in the body of the text, for photo ID mainly.

One difficulty I have found is with Brazilian names - I am finding a little square box - I haven't a clue what the name of the place should be. This is in the body of the text, for photo ID mainly.

Kits, you may find the original photo info in the gallery if the photo is still there - try doing a gallery search for the species.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back