• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Santa Cruz Mtns, several new ones (I think) (1 Viewer)

catmadden

SquirrelFreak
Please help. Got these yesterday in the mountains at Big Basin State Park, Rancho Del Oso Unit, near Davenport, CA. Canyon, mixed forest, marshy too. Nice mixed habitat.
I think this first (2 shots) is some kind of wren? and next (2 shots) a Sparrow of some kind ( I thought it looked most like a winter sparrow), then maybe an immature Lark Sparrow? Hope you can help. Thank you so much for being here, allof you.

Last edited:
About the new ones...

Hi,
I am not at all familiar with your western birds, but the sparrow looks very much like the good old Song Sparrow. (I see that someone has just beaten me to it...)

The first bird does indeed look like a wren, and structurally reminds me very much of Winter Wren, T. troglodytes; however the strength of the buff underneath argues against that! (Perhaps you have a sub-sp. out there that's very buffy?). The habitat certainly looks right for one.

On the other hand, it could just be another species entirely... will have to leave that to people more familiar with western birds.

Peter C.

Hi,
I am not at all familiar with your western birds, but the sparrow looks very much like the good old Song Sparrow. (I see that someone has just beaten me to it...)

The first bird does indeed look like a wren, and structurally reminds me very much of Winter Wren, T. troglodytes; however the strength of the buff underneath argues against that! (Perhaps you have a sub-sp. out there that's very buffy?). The habitat certainly looks right for one.

On the other hand, it could just be another species entirely... will have to leave that to people more familiar with western birds.

Peter C.

I believe it is an individual in the western pacificus subspecies. They have a very buffy throat.

Okay, but is the other bird ( 5th photo) also a song sparrow? It is a different bird from the other one, shot in a different section of the park. Is that tuft that looks like a crest just wind blown feathers?

Okay, but is the other bird ( 5th photo) also a song sparrow? It is a different bird from the other one, shot in a different section of the park. Is that tuft that looks like a crest just wind blown feathers?

All the sparrows are Song Sparrows.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back