• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mole Cricket (1 Viewer)

Carpathian Ed

Gryllotalpa gryllotalpa. Possibly now extinct in Britain but regarded as a pest where I live. These are huge and ugly crickets that look like cthonic lobsters. They can wipe out root vegetable crops very quickly.

Attachments

• molecricket.jpg
    molecricket.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 36
i always help them across roads too but the locals kill them on sight. In the last couple of weeks I've also had to help a mole, two slow worms and several snakes get off roads.
It's funny but pine martens are also seen as a pest by locals here - they're definitely a nuisance in my attic 24 hours a day - and they kill them whenever they get the chance.

In my attic they're beech/stone martens but we also get plenty of pine martens around - you see a lot when driving in the evening and at night, and there are often many dead on the road. The easiest way to differentiate the two species is by their colour (pines are much darker), or by their ears.
I really need to get a new trailcam as they always die due to dew and heavy frost. I have much more success with trailcams than normal cameras.

Attachments

• pinemartenir.jpg
    pinemartenir.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 12
  • beechmartentrailcamattic1.jpg
    beechmartentrailcamattic1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 12
In my attic they're beech/stone martens but we also get plenty of pine martens around - you see a lot when driving in the evening and at night, and there are often many dead on the road. The easiest way to differentiate the two species is by their colour (pines are much darker), or by their ears.
I really need to get a new trailcam as they always die due to dew and heavy frost. I have much more success with trailcams than normal cameras.

The same as here then, Stone Martens are quite common in old houses (though I've only ever seen traffic casualties).

Chris

I was in Bulgaria a few years back (rented a house on the coast with the forest leading up to the back door) and ye gads you get some big insects out there. Stag beetles fly around like bluebottles.

We get hoopoes in the village each year but only for a brief period. I once managed to take a photo of one but I can't find it. Saw quite a few on Peljesac, Croatia a couple of years ago (as well as jackals, dolphins and tortoises - really cool place).
Today we had a wingless parasitic wasp (Mutilla europaea) crawling up the kitchen door but it had gone by the time i fetched the camera :(

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back