• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hume's whitethroat ?? Kuwait , 16.03.2018 (1 Viewer)

bassel

Hi all

I was birding in Al Abraq oasis in Kuwait and came across this whitethroat which I believe is Hume's with a high degree of certainty . Can I have your thoughts please .

Thanks

Bassel

Attachments

• 083A1332.jpg
    083A1332.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 083A1347small size.jpg
    083A1347small size.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 083A1342small size.JPG
    083A1342small size.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 40
Presumably all the same bird bassel? If so, how the lighting changes everything! As you know this taxa is a minefield, how have you ruled out halimodendri?

Cheers

I'm not getting a Hume's feel from this at all. For a start, there shouldn't be an obvious mask. As Ken suggests, it looks more like halimodendri.

Last edited:
Hi Ken/Andy

The bird is the same bird . I claimed as Hume's based on the upperparts colour which looked to me as a little slaty coloured especially with some photos when the bird was in shade . I must say that the I was having very little doubt regarding the mask as it shouldn't be very well defined . But again , a thorough look at the second photo specifically shows a pale mantle and does fit Halimodendri .

Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back