• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I hate pugs (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

Anybody... please!

Photos 2 and 3 are the same individual with and without flash (or rather, without and with).

Grateful for any advice

John

Attachments

• 20200417 (6)_Pug_sp.JPG
    20200417 (6)_Pug_sp.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200417 (7)_Pug_sp_2.JPG
    20200417 (7)_Pug_sp_2.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200417 (8)_Pug_sp_2.JPG
    20200417 (8)_Pug_sp_2.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 40
Hm. This is the problem... two people, two opinions. For me, in this location, normally Double-striped is the default pug.

However, 2/3 didn't strike me as quite right, the first problem for me being that it wasn't pointy-winged enough.

I do have oak trees that are older than I am (57) by a good bit - at any rate when I was a kid they were just as big - that have line-of-sight to my moth trap.

So, accepting that my opinion is not worth much here or I wouldn't have asked in the first place, could either of you explain why you think what you think, please?

(As for 1, I have had Brindled here before so its not out of the question. Personally I haven't a clue about this individual.)

Cheers

John

could either of you explain why you think what you think, please?

My argument for Oak-tree: shortish, rounded wings. Bright, variegated appearance. Big wide discal spot with pale area beyond. Not relevant to ID here, but if you see it next to the similar Brindled Pug it's usually considerably smaller.

Cheers
Paul

Hm. This is the problem... two people, two opinions. For me, in this location, normally Double-striped is the default pug.

However, 2/3 didn't strike me as quite right, the first problem for me being that it wasn't pointy-winged enough.

I do have oak trees that are older than I am (57) by a good bit - at any rate when I was a kid they were just as big - that have line-of-sight to my moth trap.

So, accepting that my opinion is not worth much here or I wouldn't have asked in the first place, could either of you explain why you think what you think, please?

(As for 1, I have had Brindled here before so its not out of the question. Personally I haven't a clue about this individual.)

Cheers

John

Precisely the reason that our recorder won't accept many of them with dissection.

1 is Brindled Pug - long narrow wing shape & thin discal spot. 2 & 3 are Oak-tree Pugs. (I haven't looked on my phone in bright light this time.)

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back