• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nearest site for winter geese (1 Viewer)

Rob_S

This thread should probably be elsewhere on Birdforum, but I'm asking here as most of the regular posters are Midlands-based.

Possibility of a trip out in a couple of weeks time.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the nearest reliable spot to the West Midlands to find, for example, Brent and Pink-footed Geese? As far as I'm aware, we're not overly blessed with these winter visitors beyond occasional flyovers of Pink-feet.

The location in question being blessed with a possiblity of, for example, Short-Eared Owls would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

The Wirral? Brent can usually be seen off Red Rocks, Pinkfeet on the marsh from Parkgate to Burton Point. It's been a poor year for other species of geese - just a few Euro Whitefronts. Shorties have been a little elusive recently but there's a good chance from Denhall Quay (The Harp) or Denhall Lane. High tides this weekend so it's a good time to visit. Shorties may be possible from Parkgate Friday to Sunday if the tide pushes them off their roost. Lots of other raptors around too.

Slimbridge is close, though it has different species of geese. The Wash/ North Norfolk may also be worth considering, although they're a bit further to travel. Plenty of geese of a variety of species in that area.

The Wirral? Brent can usually be seen off Red Rocks, Pinkfeet on the marsh from Parkgate to Burton Point. It's been a poor year for other species of geese - just a few Euro Whitefronts. Shorties have been a little elusive recently but there's a good chance from Denhall Quay (The Harp) or Denhall Lane. High tides this weekend so it's a good time to visit. Shorties may be possible from Parkgate Friday to Sunday if the tide pushes them off their roost. Lots of other raptors around too.

Thanks - hadn't considered going in that direction - worth looking into further.

Slimbridge is close, though it has different species of geese. The Wash/ North Norfolk may also be worth considering, although they're a bit further to travel. Plenty of geese of a variety of species in that area.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I was at Slimbridge on Saturday, lovely day out as usual. Plenty of Barnacles, Canadas, Greylags around, and a flock of around 100 White-fronts which stubbornly refused to move one field further south so they could be seen. I located a couple in with the Greylags eventually.

I've only previously encountered Brents and Pink-feet in Norfolk and around the Wash - as you say, a good drive - just wondered whether there was anywhere closer.

Hi Rob,
I always use BTO to check what's about. That's how I knew about KF location.
When: 06 Jan 2018
Where: Sutton Park (SP0996)
Who: Paul Jenkins
What: Pink-footed Goose (300)
When: 06 Jan 2018
Where: Lutley Wedge (1) (SO9483)
Who: Craig Round
What: Pink-footed Goose (60)
When: 11 Jan 2018
Where: 15 Spring Road, Smethwick (SP0089)
Who: Anonymous
What: Brent Goose (2)

Thanks for the Birdtrack info.

The large flocks of Pink-feet are all flyovers, I think.
Brent Geese in Smethwick?!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back