• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Loch of Kinnordy (4 Viewers)

Saturday 22nd March

I left Dundee at around 7.30 having had to remove a dusting of snow from the car. It was lovely and sunny, without the strong winds we had during yesterday. As i got a few miles north of the city i hit the blizzards. Cars coming in the opposite direction were coverd white. I did think of turning round but decided to keep going. It wasnt as bad as i thought it might be but was really cold with the strong winds blowing snow showers through all morning.

I could hear the gulls from the car park and when i got into the gullery hide there they were out front. A mix of black headed and common gulls with some oycs and lapwing amongst them. Ducks included shoveler, mallard, gadwall, wigeon, teal, tufties and goldeneye. Coots, moorhens and goosander were also present.

Some one had put redshank in the book for yesterday and it wasnt long before i heard them calling. A pair were over to the left of the hide. Hopefully they will stay and breed.

On the feeders at the end of the gullery boardwalk there were blue great and coal tits along with dunnock and chaffinch looking for scraps beneath. In the bushes to the left was a small flock of long tailed tits. I went back to the car to get some peanuts and seed for them all. A song thrush was scavenging for food under the boardwalk and as i headed for the main feeding station a mistle thrush flew past heading west. The usual suspects were waiting for food and were hanging off the feeders before i had them back on the branches. I scattered some seed on the ground for the pheasants that were waiting around for me to leave. On the way back to the car a woodpecker flew over head making a racket as it went.

I headed for the swamp hide and the path was covered in snow but gradually melting in the sunshine. In the bushes near the edge of the loch a number of blackbirds were digging for food and amongst them were 20 or so redwing. As i walked a little bit further a flock of between 50-60 flew over head flying north. Next on my list was a treecreeper that was busy finding food on the trees.
At the swamp hide there was a mute swan just in front of the hide and whoopers over on the far side of the area. It wont be too long now before they head back to their breeding grounds. Goosander, goldeneye, teal and wigeon were also present. Rooks came down to have a drink and a rest from their nest building activities.

Back at the gullery feeders there were a few greenfinches around plus some goldcrest in the pines. A pair of pied wagtails were busy looking for food on the bogbean but soon flew off when the next snow shower started.

Other birds today included herring gulls, buzzard, robin, wren, reed bunting, starling, heron, crow and jackdaw.

There have been a number of sightings of the otters this past week. Last sunday two were seen being mobbed by the gulls everytime they came up for air. They came in close to the hide next to the kingfisher perch. Kawwauser saw one as well and got some good photos. The time to see them seems to be around 2pm ish. I didnt hang around till that time today because my flask was empty by about midday and i needed to go and thaw out. I will be along next saturday and hopefully the weather will be alot better.

No sign of the Osprey yet. We did have a good look but nothing to report on that front.

This weeks photos are of the wonderful weather that greeted me when i arrived, a sunny snow storm, great tit and blue tit waiting for me to fill the feeders and the treecreeper.

Darell:t:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 78
  • blowing a blizzard.jpg
    blowing a blizzard.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 88
  • great tit waiting for food.jpg
    great tit waiting for food.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 79
  • fill the feeder please.jpg
    fill the feeder please.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 79
  • treecreeper.jpg
    treecreeper.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 99
i visited kinnordy today on my way to glen doll,the whole loch was frozen ,the water birds were all closely bunched on the other side of the loch,mainly between the gullery and east hide,seeing them like this makes you apreciate how many birds are on the loch,in hindsight i wish i had taken some pics panning from left to right so i could count them later on my computer,there was a few species sitting together mallard/tufted/shovelar/wigeon/teal ducks/black headed gulls/moorhen/coots which weren,t even fighting, mutes/ whoopers,i counted 44 whoopers at the swamp hide all on the other side, the smaller birds were present right through the reserve,s trees and bushes, all the tits plus robin/blackkbird.dunnock/wren/chaffinch/song thrush/,i spotted two groups of redwings one at the east hide one at the swamp hide ,the rooks are still nestbuilding and i watched them for a while,i noticed that when a pair flys off and then returned only one carries the twigs ,the same happened at the trees beside the boardwalk,one collects the other watches, i checked my books but there is no mention of this, is it the male or female who collects the twigs?forgot to add two greylags landing near the west side of reserve
pics

rook collecting
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/rook8.jpg

redwing east hide trees
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/redw2.jpg

coal tits boardwalk
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/coal.jpg

small section of the water birds taken with a telephoto lense between the gullery hide and the east hide i count just over 100

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/cr6.jpg

Last edited:
I'll take your word for it on the count, Kawwauser:-O even with my new specs I couldn't cope with that little lot!

Amazing the loch was frozen there today when, even though it was snowing on my patch, the water was free.

D

delia here is a good test for your new specs,i took this pic aug/2006,it was taken at gaylet pot of a young kestrel calling out to its parents, i couldnt see the kestrel and rather than disturb the birds i took 4 pics of the cliff faces, i checked them for some time and eventually spotted the young kestrel,i posted the image on the web and 9 individuals from around the world claimed to have spotted it

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201825

delia here is a good test for your new specs,i took this pic aug/2006,it was taken at gaylet pot of a young kestrel calling out to its parents, i couldnt see the kestrel and rather than disturb the birds i took 4 pics of the cliff faces, i checked them for some time and eventually spotted the young kestrel,i posted the image on the web and 9 individuals from around the world claimed to have spotted it

I'm taking my specs back:eek!:

D

It does look a little nervous,hanging to the cliff..! Any good birds in Glen Doll ?

You could have used the photo for a competition....spot the bird, just like they used to have spot the ball comps in newspapers etc!!

I will be at Kinnordy again tomorrow and hope its a bit warmer than last week, though from your reports about the loch being frozen, the thermals will be getting used again i think!!!

I will be going for a walk early morning to see what is around but am quite happy to take anyone else round later on in the day.

Saturday 29th March

What a fantastic day!!!

I arrived about 7.45 and was disappointed to see the Osprey were nowhere to be seen. Checking again just after ten o'clock...there was one sitting on top of the nest!!!

I had heard that the highland cattle had a newcomer this week but got a surprise to see two calves between the houses and the entrance to the reserve. One must have been born last night.

Along at the west end there were three greylags and a few oycs along with some skylarks and a pair of mute swans. Whoopers were still present as i drove past the swamp end and the gulls were again very vocal.

In front of the gullery hide i had to look very carefully for anything other than black headed gulls...teal, mallard and shoveler were present. Off to the swamp hide i went and saw goldcrest, wren, robin, great tit, blue tit, long tailed tit and blackbirds on the way. Mallard, whoopers, teal, wigeon, moorhen and coot were there along with a pair of reed bunting next to the boardwalk. On my way back to the gullery hide i found a pair of woodpeckers who were making little woodies. I howled with laughter as the female fell forwards, at the same time hanging on to the branch so that the male fell off. It was like watching a gymnast on the bars.

At the carpark a pair of pied wagtails flew overhead flying northwards. Other birds in that area included goldcrest, dunnock, robin, wren and chaffinch. I decided to head off for a walk to the lilly pond. At the feeding station i caught a red squirrel helping its self to the peanuts while redwing were in the bushes next to the feeding station and a song thrush was in the trees on the other side of the path. I heard a yellowhammer singing in the bushes next to the east hide but couldn't locate it. Along the path, i was following the pair of woodpeckers for most of the walk. Treecreepers, great tits, blue tits and long tailed tits were all present along with pheasant, dunnock, wren and reed buntings.

The weather had been really quite pleasant earlier on, though it was chilly in the shaded areas. Skylarks were out in numbers in the fields with the lambs. A very peacefull spring walk with lots of birds to see. Towards the lilly pond i found a pair of buzzards, moorhens, treecreepers, redwing, jay, yellowhammers, rooks, jackdaws, crows and lots of woodpigeons. The pathway comes to an end just inside the wooded area due to fallen trees that are blocking the path. I stood for a while just inside this area and saw treecreepers, goldcrests, coal tit, chaffinch and pigeons.

On my way back a curlew flew overhead and soon afterwards a redpoll crossed my path. I soon got back to the hides and it wasn't ten o'clock yet!!

I stayed in the gullery hide for the rest of the day chatting with visitors. It wasn't long after i got back from my walk that i discovered that the Osprey was back. Lets hope the other one is not too far behind and that they are as successful as they were last year.

I know that i reported last week that the best time of day to see the otters was around two o'clock...well Delia arrived at two o'clock and left at three thirty with not a sighting...sorry Delia!!!

At three o'clock i decided to call it a day. It had become colder, gone really grey and was about to start raining. Well, as i moved to get up something large flying east across the reserve caught my eye..a Crane..a lifer for me. It carried on eastwards then circled back to the west and eventuall flew straight over the gullery hide and was last seen heading south towards Dundee. I did manage to get some pictures but they aren't very good as you can see for yourselves.

I went home happy..two lfers in two weeks!!

Todays photos are of the new highland cattle, woody, yellowhammer at the lilly pond area, reed bunting outside the gullery hide and the crane.

Did you have any luck with the Osprey on the way home Delia?

Attachments

• two new lawn mowers.jpg
    two new lawn mowers.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 88
  • woody.jpg
    woody.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 92
  • yellowhammer at lilly pond.jpg
    yellowhammer at lilly pond.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 93
  • reed bunting.jpg
    reed bunting.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 101
  • crane at kinnordy.jpg
    crane at kinnordy.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 106
More pictures from todays visit to kinnordy.

Attachments

• crane over kinnordy.jpg
    crane over kinnordy.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Crane!!!.jpg
    Crane!!!.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 83
  • gulls are back.jpg
    gulls are back.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 91
  • tired oycs.jpg
    tired oycs.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 77
What kept youo:D good day though wasn't it

No, no luck with the Osprey on the pylon... just need to keep watching it I suppose, though not sure when I can get back there now

Great pictures, as usual

D

Nice stuff with the Crane.

But Delia, I'm not so worried about the Crane, but could you stuff one of those little Highland Cows on your bad next time you visit?

Nice stuff with the Crane.

But Delia, I'm not so worried about the Crane, but could you stuff one of those little Highland Cows on your bad next time you visit?

Hey.... less of the "bad" it's not Will you're talking to:king:

Fancy one of these then do you:-O

D

Attachments

• highlands_groupa_web.jpg
    highlands_groupa_web.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 88
Today was one of those days when you could really say " Spring has arrived". Lovely sunshine, only a few clouds in the sky, but still a little bite of cold in the air.

I usually leave Dundee on the A90 and then cut off towards Glamis. For those of you who know that road then you will be accustomed to the view you get after you've passed the house on the zig zag bend, then over the brow of the hill and WOW what a view. Well, today i had to stop the car, to take a photo of the stunning view in beautiful sunshine with snow capped glens in the distance...first photo down below.

I went along to the westend to see what was around there and nearly knocked over a grey partridge that decided to play chicken with the cars. A pair of greylag geese and some oycs were in the field on the bend in the road. I parked up and stood in the sunshine to listen to the skylarks singing away. A pair of redshank could also be heard as they chased each other around the sky. Lots of gulls around too with a few lapwing.

Off to the main entrance i went. All i could hear was gulls as i got out of the car, but a robin, blue tits and great tits were in the bushes next to the car park. It was good to see both the Ospreys at their site but neither ventured over the loch while i was there. Like saturday, it was all black headed gulls in front of the gullery hide apart from a few teal and moorhens. In the reeds at either side of the hide, reed buntings were busy going about their business while a wren appeared for a drink of water every now and again. I did hear water rail calling to the left of the hide but didnt get a glimpse of one. At the end of the boardwalk there were chaffinches, blue tits, coal tits and goldcrest. Infact one of the goldcrests was busy pulling a feather apart to use as nesting material.

I decided to go for a walk round to the lilly pond again but decided it was cold enough for hat and gloves. It was lovely and warm in the sunshine, especially round near the pond where i found a pair of long tailed tits, working the edge of the water looking for nesting material. The fields next to the pond were full of meadow pipits...i counted 46.As soon as i stepped forwards a different flock took off from the fields and also next to the path. A pair of buzzards were also patrolling the skys above as a group of 7 linnets flew past.

The walk back was just as good with treecreeper, dunnock, wren, woodpecker, tufted duck, goldeneye, greylags, mute swan, chaffinch, blue great and long tailed tits being seen.

From the east hide i added little grebe, heron and cormorant to the list along with shoveler and wigeon. I then went along to the swamp end to see how many whoopers were left. I counted 41 along with common gulls, herring gulls, pied wagtail, goosander, coot, rooks, jackdaws and more reed buntings.

It was then time to head back to Dundee. I headed towards Alyth and had only just gone past the westend when i saw a magpie..first for me in that area. I know others have seen one before in that area.

Todays pics are of the beautiful view, long tailed tit and meadow pipits along at the lilly pond area and the new lawn mowers.

Attachments

• Looking towards the Angus Glens.jpg
    Looking towards the Angus Glens.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Looking for nesting material.jpg
    Looking for nesting material.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Meadow Pipit.jpg
    Meadow Pipit.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Peace perfect Peace.jpg
    Peace perfect Peace.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Aren't i lovely.jpg
    Aren't i lovely.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 76
Just a reminder Delia, either of the lawn mowers would do, both if they can be squeezed into baggage limits.

PS sounds right nice up there.

Just a reminder Delia, either of the lawn mowers would do, both if they can be squeezed into baggage limits.

I'll see what I can do:-O

PS sounds right nice up
there.[/QUOTE]

Oh it is, it is... you mean you've not been there - I've been hoping you'd have a report of something in your Big Year thread:-C

D

Another great day for you Darrel - that is some view that I don't think I've seen - I wouldn't normally be on that road.

I see 3 otters were seen again on Sunday - they must know when I'm going!

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back