• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

scope in hand luggage ? (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
I am off to southern Spain in Sept for the migration and had planned to carry my scope (KOWA TSN 824) wrapped in a soft thick fleece in my hand luggage as usual to ensure safe transit. However presumably this will no longer be possible given the new ongoing restrictions on size of baggage ? What is the best way to transport a scope with the main baggage without collecting a glass jigsaw puzzle at the other end ? Do they do specific cases ? If so can they really cope with being hurled around with all the other suitcases ??

Tony Knight said:
I am off to southern Spain in Sept for the migration and had planned to carry my scope (KOWA TSN 824) wrapped in a soft thick fleece in my hand luggage as usual to ensure safe transit. However presumably this will no longer be possible given the new ongoing restrictions on size of baggage ? What is the best way to transport a scope with the main baggage without collecting a glass jigsaw puzzle at the other end ? Do they do specific cases ? If so can they really cope with being hurled around with all the other suitcases ??

You can buy extremely tough foam lined plastic (Peli, I think the brand name is) cases from camera shops or www.warehouseexpress.com to pack fragile items in. They're expensive (I've been looking at them), around £70-£80 but worth it if it means your stuff arrives in one piece.

I am not off anywhere for a while, not until May next year, but I am wondering how long these restrictions will remain in place for (although it's better to have restictions than to potentially be blown to kingdom come!). They may be permanent or they may be temporary. Theft concerns me more than breakage (as you can buy protection like that mentioned above), as there was a report just now on the local BBC news regarding thefts from luggage, which has increased by 200% since people have been stopped from taking cameras, laptops and other valuable items in the cabin.

Tony Knight said:
There is another thread on this. I would contact the airline as without your bins and the scope your holiday is ruined - in which case, they might well allow them as hand luggage. By then the restrictions should have eased - but on the news this evening an awful lot of baggage has still to be delivered, if not exactly "missing" (10,000 pieces apparently).

Tony Knight said:

I've taken a Kowa 'scope abroad packed in my suitcase on numerous occasions and never yet had a problem. The only real issue is if it gets lost then the airline won't cover the costs of replacement, but a good household insurance will.

Scope's travelled to Asia, Europe, USA, Africa and survived intact so far.

Tony Knight said:

The main problem as I see it is fear of your telescope being squashed and broken in half. Your suitcase could be the one at the bottom of the trolley ten cases high. A hard Peli case is a good solution but it does attract attention and with theft on the increase in the last two weeks, this might not be wise either. A simple, easy and cheap solution is a HARD cardboard box taped up with packing tape and filled with white "pop-corn" inside the suitcase. This should also stop meddling hands quickly searching suit case for expensive gear as well.

As I understand it you are allowed a cabin bag of dimensons 45x35x16 cm. A small or medium scope, such as my Nikon Fieldscope EDIIA, fits in this fine, along with my bins and Coolpix and a few bits and pieces. I have three foreign birding trips coming up in the next ten weeks so I am hoping I have got it right.

Steve

I agree with Steve. It is possible to get scope, bins and camera into a 45x35x15 bag. But does anyone have actual experience of taking these through security since the new restrictions? I can't see any reason why scope, bins etc. can't be taken in hand luggage but....

I will be going to Perth, WA from Hong Kong next week. The situation may be less restrictive. I intend to bring my camera backpack which can hold a scope, a 400mm lens and the camera body. Hope I can get thru and let you know.

Further check the book by Arthur Morris, his advice is quoted below:-

A photographer's vest can be your best weapon against zealous "carry-on baggage police" flight attendants. On most trips, I routinely pack the following items in my LL Rue vest: a 400mm F5.6 lens, three camera bodies, my 28-105mm and 100-300mm zoom lenses, .......... :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back