Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Small Buttonquail in Morocco

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 6th April 2011, 18:03   #26
Acrocephalus

History, status and distribution of Andalusian Buttonquail in the WP

Gutiérrez Expósito C., Copete J.L., Crochet P.-A., Qninba A. & Garrido H. 2011. History, status and distribution of Andalusian Buttonquail in the WP. Dutch Birding 33 (2): 75-93. (Abstract in Dutch)

Song and video of Andalusian Buttonquail Turnix sylvaticus sylvaticus accompanying the paper above. Click on Extra’s to see the recordings

Song by Arnoud B van den Berg/The Sound Approach and video by José Manuel Sayago.

In hand photo of the species in this post (Photo by Mohamed Radi): http://moroccanbirds.blogspot.com/20...bution-of.html
Old Sunday 24th April 2011, 21:27   #27
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrocephalus View Post
My first remark: the statements quoted above are completely contradictory; how can we contribute to the problem and ask why the problem persists?
Agreed.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th May 2011, 18:09   #28
Stew

I guess I should reply Lee, as your post was directed to me...

Many of the comments made subsequent to your post are basically attacking you because of the belief you will lead tours to see them, thus making cash out of privileged information which you expect us to supply to you, whilst causing repeated disturbance to the birds. Whether or not this is true, I can't comment but it is certainly a belief held by many, so perhaps you ought to try and change the reputation you seem to have? I don't know enough of you to comment further.

What is undoubtedly true is another comment made above. Those of us who saw them in 2008/9 were ENTRUSTED with the information on condition we didn't share it further. Would you expect us to betray that trust just so you can see them? What would that do for the reputations of the birders involved?

Stew
Old Sunday 8th May 2011, 20:28   #29
Xenospiza
Undescribed

I have understood that there are grave concerns for eggers to get hold of the buttonquail sites. I think the exact locations are best kept a secret, even if it is indeed a rather public one.
Commercial bird tours, that cater for "unknown" individuals, should never search for the buttonquails, and I hope that those tour leaders that I know to have seen buttonquail take note.
Old Friday 13th May 2011, 11:03   #30
metcow333

Hi Lee

As you know, I haven't seen the birds, but was wondering where the site is going to be published in a forthcoming publication?

I realise it is a less than ideal situation with a small group of people having seen the birds and everyone else 'in the dark' as it were, but surely the conservation of the species should come first, and would that not be inhibited by the location becoming public knowledge, especially given how sensitive the species is, and that it would presumably require entering private fields to be seen? It would be a shame if the release of a very sensitive site was precipitated by (in the larger scheme of things) a petty squabble amongst twitchers/birders.

As i said, I don't know the details, and if it is the case that some august conservation body has decided that the best way of conserving the species is to make it public knowledge, then that's great, it will give me a chance to see a fantastic species in a great country. If it is a unilateral decision by upset individuals, that seems to be a very sad situation.

Would be great if you could enlighten me/us all to the situation.

Cheers

Ollie

http://olliesbirding.blogspot.com/
Old Friday 1st July 2011, 14:52   #31
Piqa

Conservation of Andalusian Buttonquail

How one can contribute to the conservation of Andalusian Buttonquail (with pictures from a recent trip).
http://moroccanbirds.blogspot.com/20...ttonquail.html
Old Thursday 21st February 2013, 11:52   #32
Acrocephalus

Chasing after the Andalusian Buttonquail

In the original source in Spanish: http://www.seo.org/blog/tras-el-torillo-andaluz-2/

English and French translations: http://moroccanbirds.blogspot.com/20...ttonquail.html

By the way, if anyone here has any observation (either in winter or in breeding period) with GPS coordinates or well marked with land marks, it would be very nice to pass them to the team project.
Old Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 17:18   #33
Acrocephalus

Updates

Andalusian Buttonquail updates from Morocco. (about the protection status of the species in Morocco and the compensatory measures of the effects of the highway EL Jadida – Safi on the habitats of the Buttonquail).

Original text published - in French - by GREPOM (BirdLife affiliate)
Old Saturday 30th March 2019, 22:20   #34
Acrocephalus

The population is declining

Summary:
http://www.magornitho.org/2019/03/an...quail-decline/

Original paper:
Gutiérrez-Expósito, C., García-Gorria, R., Qninba, A., Clavero, M. & Revilla, E. 2019. The farmland refuge of the last Andalusian Buttonquail population. Global Ecology and Conservation 17: e00590. doi: 10.1016/j.gecco.2019.e00590
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 10:07   #35
dnsallen

A propos of comments on the taxonomy of this widely distributed species or species group, does anyone know of anyone working on their DNA? T. 'sylvatica' in the Philippines seems to be a forest dependent species and possibly limited by the distribution of cats and dogs.
Des
Old Monday 28th October 2019, 14:39   #36
Acrocephalus

As far as I know, there has been no other genetic studies since that of Pertoldi et al (2006) quoted below (the link in the quote is dead):

Quote:
Actually a study by Pertoldi et al 2006, found that despite large phonotypical differences (biometrics and colour...) between the Andalusian hemipode (T. s. sylvaticus) and the Kurrichane buttonquail (T. s. lepurana) from sub-Saharan Africa, the genetic divergence in terms of cyt-b sequence are small (0.00–0.16%). They even proposed to repopulate southern Spain from sub-Saharan stock, but this is now older and the authors themselves stressed that this introduction is possible on condition that no wild birds of the Andalusian hemipode are still exist in its native range, this situation have already changed. I am not aware of any recent study.
Pertoldi, C., Negro, J.J., Muñoz, J., Barbanera, F. & Garrido, H. 2006. Introduction or reintroduction? Last resorts for the latest bird to become extinct in Europe, the Andalusian hemipode Turnix sylvatica sylvatica. Biodiversity & Conservation 15: 3895-3908.
Old Monday 28th October 2019, 19:49   #37
dnsallen

Quote:
As far as I know, there has been no other genetic studies since that of Pertoldi et al (2006) quoted below (the link in the quote is dead):

Pertoldi, C., Negro, J.J., Muñoz, J., Barbanera, F. & Garrido, H. 2006. Introduction or reintroduction? Last resorts for the latest bird to become extinct in Europe, the Andalusian hemipode Turnix sylvatica sylvatica. Biodiversity & Conservation 15: 3895-3908.

Many thanks for this. I managed to find the article and will try to contact the authors...
Des
Old Monday 28th October 2019, 19:54   #38
opisska
Jan Ebr

What happenened in this thread in 2011? There seems to be only a part of a discussion conserved? This Lee guy has deleted his posts or what? (I didn't even know that you can do it and imho it's a pretty bad forum design, it should say "here was a post that got later deleted" at least.)
Birds: world 2002, WP 561 (#1 Czech WP birder!*), bird photos
Mammals: 238, mammal photos
* and my wife is #3
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: