Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Have the blue tits gone?

Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 19:10   #1
Molliesdad

Have the blue tits gone?

We have been delighted to have a family of blue tits nesting in one of my boxes in the garden.
I was lucky enough to see mum feeding her young at the box entrance and at close range a couple of weeks ago.
However, all seems quiet on the nesting box front now. I’ve seen no activity during the last week.
Gutted I missed the young fly the nest.
Question is, will any return during the summer? The reason for the question is that the box is in a poor state of repair and needs fixing. Could I carry out the repairs now?
The easiest thing would be to replace the box, but the tits opted for the old box over a newer box about a yard away from its location, hence the preference to repair and reuse.

Cheers
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 19:26   #2
Hauksen

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molliesdad View Post
Question is, will any return during the summer? The reason for the question is that the box is in a poor state of repair and needs fixing. Could I carry out the repairs now?
According to "Methodenstandards zur Erfassung der Brutvögel in Deutschland", which is a bit of a bird calendar, only a small proportion of all Blue Tits breed twice in the same year.

In fact, it notes the second breeds start in June, so if yours were only recently feeding young, that might plausibly have been their second brood.

Breeding period is 13 to 15 days, nestling period is 18 to 21 days.

(All quoted data applies to Germany ... I presume it's not going to be dramatically different for Britain.)

Regards,

Henning
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 21:58   #3
Molliesdad

Thank you for your reply.
I guess it will be safe to remove the box and give it a good repair job!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: