• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

floresii (1 Viewer)

I am pretty sure related to here if we look at the footnotes (especially 3).

Maybe Teodoro Flores is a descendant?

In here we can find p. 78

Se dice que este tiro fue incendiado por el gerente inglés Damián Floresi en 1844, lo que motivó la salida de sus Compatriotas.

Last edited:
In here we can find p. 78
Se dice que este tiro fue incendiado por el gerente inglés Damián Floresi en 1844, lo que motivó la salida de sus Compatriotas
Martin, you forgot to add the link (which I assume is this one, here). The text in your quote above is only a foot-note (No.12), in reference to page 75.

What it tells us (or if it is of any relevance what-so-ever in this topic) is unknown to me (it's all in Spanish). ;)

If nothing else, at least we've got yet another version to look for, of the many names of "our" guy, i.e. Damiano Flores (d'Arcais), its Spanish version; "Damián Floresi". Maybe this is how he would/could have been recorded when he died (in Panama)?

/B

PS. Like here, or here (see p.356, and the preceding page/s, on p.354 there's some talk of "estudio de la Zoologia" ...!?)

If relevant? I haven't got a clue.
--

Last edited:
Thank's to Giorgio Chiozzi:

The books by Enrico Flores d’Arcais contain little information about Damiano’s death. Anyway, I found more precise information elsewhere. In particular, I know, almost for certain, that he died in Colón (Panama) on 27th February 1853, from yellow fever who killed him soon after his landing in Panama.

Concerning the date of his birth, this is controversial. Church documents state that he was baptized on 13th July 1799 in Cagliari, but military documents state he was born on 12th July 1800. It is possible that baptism was carried out the day after his birth, but the year of birth found in church documents is possibly more accurate than in the military ones.

and

There is no doubt that Damiano Floresi was born Damiano Flores, Marchese d’Arcais and Barone di Samatzai, this last a title he inherited by his mother Donna Maria Rita Cervellon. He later abdicated all titles in favour of a brother.

And last but not least he wrote me:

All this said, I would like to invite all people in BirdForum willing to share the information collected about Damiano Floresi with me to the purpose of publish them as soon as possible on an authoritative ornithological journal. I believe Floresi’s adventurous life and contribution to ornithology is worth commemorating.

Regarding Mr Chiozzi's reply (in post #24) ...

Good job, Martin (asking him)! :t:

Though I see no reason not to trust the MuseoI cavalieri delle colline” in their claim of him being born in 1799 (verified/confirmed by Church records, apparently seen by Chiozzi), this as Church records are most often written at, or very close to, the time when the/any occurrence came about. I've never heard of any case when anyone was recorded in a church book a full year (or even years) after their birth. A Military record would (at least in my mind) be less reliable when it comes to whenever someone was born, often based by word of mouth, simply trusting what they were told (most likely by the trainee himself, not questioning if true or false), ... but sure, better safe than sorry.

This said without even knowing that Damiano Flores (d'Arcais) ever had a Military career, had he? But even if so, as he left for Mexico in 1821, it couldn't have been a very long one. Could the other birth claim (of 1800) possibly origin from a different Damiano(?), Lieutenant-whatever-rank-Officer, Flores/Floresi all together?

Who knows? I sure don't. But, sure, I agree, those two dates in 1799/1800 are disturbingly close ...

Either way (even if he isn't of one of "my guys"), this far, I'd go for: Damiano Flores (1799–1853), Italian alt. Sardinian Marquis/Marchese d’Arcais, a k a "Damiano Floresi" (in non-Italian contexts), miner in Mexico, collector, etc., etc..

Though I sure wonder how the full, looong name (and title/s) of him will turn out in the End. Will it be; Damiano (Efisio Luigi Tommaso Rafaele Gaetano?) Flores (Nurra?), Marchese d'Arcais (and di Cervellon?, as well as Barone di Samatzai?) ... [wow!] ... titles (all?) later renounced in favour of his brother ... ?

Hopefully Mr Chiozzi will straighten out the question marks, and tell us the proper, full version of his name (and the full Story of this guy), in his future Paper in "an authoritative ornithological journal".

Sure looking forward to it.

Björn

PS. And, of course, any of the bits and pieces (haphazardly) found in this thread (of whatever value), are all free to be shared by/with Mr. Chiozzi. Note that there are 273 hits in the Biodiversity Heritage Library after a (full-text) search for "Floresi" (here). Mr Chiozzi is in for some heavy reading!

A search for "Flores" in the same BHL, is far less useful, as it gives 34 955 hits! (mostly because it's Spanish for Flowers, also including Flores, Indonesia etc., etc.) ;)
--

Last edited:
My last one on Flores (d'Arcais) ...

Also note that there's a Photo of "Marchese Damiano FLORES D'ARCAIS", from 1869, on e-bay (here), or see attached jpg, though it's not a Photo of "our" guy, but (judging by age and year/s) most likely of his Nephew/namesake (born 1854).

Martin, feel free to share it with Mr Chiozzi. Its physical origin is unknown to me, but maybe there are other Photos (from the same collection/family album?) still waiting to be found, that might/could/would be useful for his forthcoming Paper.

Well, that's it, I cannot reach any further in this topic/thread.

See you all elsewhere!

Björn
--

Attachments

• Photo of the:his Nephew.jpg
    Photo of the:his Nephew.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 9
" ... a most amiable and upright man"

Apparently hard to let go of this guy ...

Even if the following piece clearly is erroneous in some minor Parts (i.e. spellings; as in "Floresi" vs the original Flores, and "d'Arcaes" vs the proper d'Arcais), it might contain some (minor) additional info about Don Damiano Flores (1799–1853):

ANNIVERSARY ADDRESS OF THE PRESIDENT [... of the Geological Society of London]
[...]
Of several of our lost members little information of any material importance can be obtained, though they have all exhibited at some period of their lives a strong desire to advance the progress of science. ...
[...]
Mr. FLORESI was a native of Sardinia, and ranked in his own country amongst the nobility, being Marquis d'Arcaes ; but, as an Italian refugee, he only made use of his family name. For some time he was manager of a portion of the Mexican mines, which were worked under the direction of Mr. John Taylor ; and he was on his way to Central America to report on mines in the Province of Guatemala, when he was attacked with fever at Panama, and died, to the great regret of his employers, by whom he was considered a most amiable and upright man. His son has since taken charge of some Mexican mines which belong to a different body of proprietors.

[from here]​
For anyone keen (like Mr Chiozzi) on trying to find a Portrait of Don Damiano Flores (if such a Portrait exist?) I´d say that the Sardinian Museo I cavalieri delle colline would be the most likely place to find it. Who knows what they have in their Archives? If so, I would guess it ought to be a painting, or an etching (simply as Don Flores left Europe, for Mexico, prior to Photography).

"Although the first photographs made in Mexico appeared barely six months after the invention of the daguerreotype had been announced in 1839, it was the years of the French Intervention (1864–1867) that saw the burgeoning of photography in Mexico." [from here]

Considering that Don Flores died in 1853, the chance of finding a Photo of him (even in his older years) seems slim.

Either way; Enjoy (for whatever it is worth)!

/B

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back