• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rainy day birding (1 Viewer)

Jay23

What do BFers do on rainy days? Apart from the shear discomfort of birding in the rain, wet optics etc, It seems to me that birds are much less active in the rain anyway...
Theres always those indescipherable notes to right up (yeah, right), or maybe using photoshop to tidy up some of those rather fuzzy digiscoped pictures, go to the pub for an er, extended lunchtime session? But I want to go birding! Any reccomendations? Seawatching from a judiciously parked car? Down to the local resi with a scope and umbrella? Ideas please!

Chris

My options: seawatch from a shelter; sit in a hide; unless it's torrential, into the waterproofs and get on with it. Never tried brolly birding, but I recall a mate of mine had a really good day at Porthgwarra wandering around with bins and a brolly........

I try not to let the rain put me off . I went out to Mai Po wetlands last Monday after the heaviest thunderstorm to hit in 20 years and got caught again and had to shelter in a hide for an hour and a half. But the sun came out briefly three times during the rest of the day which was nice. Also , ducks and other water birds don't care too much about rain and snipe seem to like to come out in it . I got the first photo on the rainiest day we've had this year in Hong Kong and the Painted Snipe/cattle egret photo after I had been sitting under an umbrella for an hour with my pancho over my scope and camera. Neil

Attachments

• bw stilt.rain DSC0004.jpg
    bw stilt.rain DSC0004.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 107
  • painted snipe.fem.ca#174ACB.jpg
    painted snipe.fem.ca#174ACB.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 91
Hi
Due to work getting in the way, I find time for birding is at a premium, so if it is raining and I have a day to get out, I will not let the weather put me off. I enjoy whatever I see.

Regards

Kevin

Check all the local waters for migrants - rain drives down birds already moving. In the past I have netted an assortment of terns including White-winged black Tern, various waders including Black-tailed and Bar-tailed Godwaits and a variety of other birds not necessarily associated with water by following this habit. Drizzle, showers or thunderstorms can all provide goodies although constant driving rain is best sat out in the pub.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back