• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panraogallus hezhengensis gen et sp. nov. (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
Zhiheng Li, Julia A. Clarke, Chad M. Eliason, Thomas A. Stidham, Tao Deng & Zhonghe Zhou, 2018

Vocal specialization through tracheal elongation in an extinct Miocene pheasant from China.

Scientific Reports 8, Article number: 8099 (2018)
doi:10.1038/s41598-018-26178-x
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-26178-x
Free pdf: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-26178-x.pdf

Abstract: Modifications to the upper vocal tract involving hyper-elongated tracheae have evolved many times within crown birds, and their evolution has been linked to a ‘size exaggeration’ hypothesis in acoustic signaling and communication, whereby smaller-sized birds can produce louder sounds. A fossil skeleton of a new extinct species of wildfowl (Galliformes: Phasianidae) from the late Miocene of China, preserves an elongated, coiled trachea that represents the oldest fossil record of this vocal modification in birds and the first documentation of its evolution within pheasants. The phylogenetic position of this species within Phasianidae has not been fully resolved, but appears to document a separate independent origination of this vocal modification within Galliformes. The fossil preserves a coiled section of the trachea and other remains supporting a tracheal length longer than the bird’s body. This extinct species likely produced vocalizations with a lower fundamental frequency and reduced harmonics compared to similarly-sized pheasants. The independent evolution of this vocal feature in galliforms living in both open and closed habitats does not appear to be correlated with other factors of biology or its open savanna-like habitat. Features present in the fossil that are typically associated with sexual dimorphism suggest that sexual selection may have resulted in the evolution of both the morphology and vocalization mechanism in this extinct species.

Systematic paleontology
AVES Linnaeus, 1758
GALLIFORMES Linnaeus, 1758
PHASIANIDAE Vigors, 1825
Panraogallus hezhengensis gen et sp. nov.

Etymology. The genus name is the pinyin of the Chinese characters meaning ‘coiling’ and the Latin for ‘chicken,’ referring to the preserved elongate trachea in this species. The specific epithet, ‘hezhengensis’ refers to Hezheng area in the Linxia Basin of Gansu Province where abundant fossils, including the holotype, have been collected.

Holotype. The holotype specimen of Panraogallus hezhengensis is HMV 1876 (HMV, Hezheng Paleozoological Museum, Vertebrate Collection, Gansu
Province, China), a nearly complete skeleton from a young adult individual.

It describes Panraogallus hezhengensis gen et sp. nov.

News:

http://english.ivpp.cas.cn/rh/rp/201805/t20180525_192866.html

Enjoy,

Fred

Attachments

• Panraogallus-hezhengensis.jpg
    Panraogallus-hezhengensis.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 30
Fred...

I am not quite sure what this says -- I hope it is about birds developing the ability to sing such beautiful songs.

I will read it later today -- but right now I need to rush outside and do some yard work before the thunderstorms move in -- what is left of the Subtropical Depression Alfredo moving north.

Fred...

Thank you for the abstract and links to the report on the Panraogallus hezhengensis located in the Hezheng Paleozoological Museum, China.

I have a few minutes this morning to spend with the published report in Springer Nature. I wish I could tell you I fully understand everything I am reading. But the few sentences I can absorb -- like a Robin foraging in a fresh-mowed lawn -- I am most grateful for the opportunity to learn what I can.

Please keep posting your links. They are most fascinating.

...Crusty

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back