• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D7200 shutter (1 Viewer)

Most Nikons are not very quiet. The newest models start to get quieter, but Canon is way ahead here (I shoot Nikon, btw) and Sony is the silence king.

On your left dial there is a "Q" and "Qc" setting. Those are quiet single release and quiet continuous release. There is not much of a difference, IMO, except on the latest DSLR models for Nikon.

You can also shoot in live view, which will lock the mirror up, so you then only have shutter noise. (on earlier models like yours there might still be mirror action with live view, I forget).

On the newest DSLRs, they have electronic curtains. The d500 has an electronic front curtain, so you can (with some limitations) only have a single curtain noise and no mirror if shooting in live view. The d850 can do full electronic curtain (with some limitations) in live view. I find the Q and Qc modes on the d850 are actually quiet a bit quieter than normal mode.

Marc

The D7200 only has the "Q" setting. It does not have a continuous quiet release setting.

I use it in hides when other people are present. It is a bit quieter than normal single shot mode and substantially quieter then either of the continuous modes. It is much slower though as you need to release the shutter release button between each shot.

The D7200 only has the "Q" setting. It does not have a continuous quiet release setting.

Sorry about that error. I think Qc was introduced in the 7500 then. I've not used the 7500, but my experience with the d500 is its Qc mode is pretty quiet compared to normal release, but also much slower (I think 3fps).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back