• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White or Pied (1 Viewer)

snapper

Can anyone ID this Wagtail Please is it a White or Pied I have look at my book but I am still unsure & can you tell me why & then I will know the difference next time.The picture was taken on 21.08.05 at carsington water thanks.

Attachments

• Wagtail .jpg
    Wagtail .jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 119
Looks like a pied (alba) to me but I haven't got a white one in my guide so we will have to wai for expert confirmation.

Shall sit on the fence I think. Edging towards ad fem Pied, though I have seen Whites with this much grey on the flanks. The mantle looks a bit dark and I can't see the nape properly.

I had exactly the same problem at my local patch yesterday.I decided I had a White Wagtail but was not confident enough to put it in the site book.

What convinced me was that beside the plain grey back there was a very sharp border between the grey of the back and the black of the head at the nape of the neck.

With yours you cannot see the nape very well.

Max.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back