• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why the lack of British wildlife on tv ? (1 Viewer)

guffers

This is something which has always really irked me. All we ever get is African, Asian or Amazonian jungles and plains. No wonder so few youngsters are interested in nature watching with nothing in the media to attract them to the hobby in the first place. The only British programmes seem to be aired on a Sunday and for 5-10 minutes as an afterthought. Very paltry indeed. Why can't British tv companies show more commitment to our native wildlife ? :C I guess because our wildlife just isn't 'sexy' enough. Or perhaps we should release a few lions and tigers in order to stimulate interest.

Excellent point, guffers!

I recently (finally!) got round to watching "My Halcyon River", which got rave reviews from other BFers - and rightly so, as it was superb.

We should have more like that, while we still have enough wildlife for a series.

The "Wild in Your Garden" stuff was fine... but let's face it, all the decent footage was recorded. Wildlife simply doen't "perform".

The Iolo Williams progs on BBC 2 Wales were good, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to make a UK nationwide Wildlife Series of high quality.

I for one have had my fill of lions and tigers on TV!

Instead of rerunning tripe like bargain Hunt and whatnot they should rerun Bill Oddie's Birding programmes in the afternoons. We can all tape em for our collections then.

Couldn't agree more. I enjoy Bill Oddie's programmes but most of all when he is visiting British locations. At least the Natural World on Sunday looks promising.

The other thing I object to is everything needs to be "extreme". Nature isn't just about animals tearing each other to bits. Although it wasn't in Britain, I really enjoyed a program yesterday on one of the obscure BBC Satellite channels of David Attenborough looking at birds of paradise - stunning photography.

Do what I did, buy Life of Birds on DVD, check on Kelkoo and you should see it for £16.99 which ain't bad for ten episodes! Admittedly it is international but good stuff all the same. I would like to see a BIll Oddie DVD.

The other thing I object to is everything needs to be "extreme"
Unfortunately Robin, I think that is a sign of the times in most TV programmes - it makes good television. I agree with you all entirely though.

I guess a large number of programme makers just don't think it is - to use Guffers term - "sexy" enough.

To be honest, I can't believe what goes on just in my garden! You have the full cycle of life out there, right under your nose. What, with the doves trying to "cop off", the sparrowhawk eating a recent kill, young birds learning to feed, parents teaching them, there's enough material to fill a good hour long programme.

Imagine all the potential material that is available "in the wild"....

Ah well, I'll just go and book that safari, there's nowt in this country....

PS - We need a Tongue-in-cheek smilie thing.

Andrews comment about the Bill Oddie DVD reminds me that there is a series of video's 'Birds of Britain & Europe' by Paul Doherty with Bill Oddie narrating. I saw it playing at a recent bird fair and it looked really good. It covers 550 species for this country and, when I asked, was told it will be out on DVD 'soon'.
I wonder if any BF members have this series to comment on?
Steve.

Thank heavens FOR Bill Oddie is all I can say!!! Much as I like to watch programmes about worldwide wildlife, there is nothing more satisfying than sitting down to watch a programme about British wildlife.....something that I do actually have a chance of seeing!!!
I missed that programme about the river...was furious with myself! Did tape it when it was repeated BUT hubby used the tape before I got the chance to watch it!!!! ALMOST grounds for divorce there!!! Then, in March, it was on for a third time so I got everything ready....video tape already labelled etc....and it was cancelled because the BBC decided to instead go to a live transmission of Bl***y Blair and the Toxic Texan!!!!!!! GGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Hubby came home to find me rather annoyed...and using MOST unladylike language!!! wouldn't have minded QUITE so much if it was just yet another programme about African wildlife or crocodiles or the usual over-exaggerated stuff about sharks!!!

Fingers crossed for FOURTH time lucky!!!

We don't have long to wait. That Owl programme will be on after Bill on Sunday. It was featured on the local news so it must be in the South West.

I reckon it's because British wildlife/birds have been done so many times before. I think that the producers don't appreciate that the same species can be done over and over again and still retain the interest of the public, particularly the birders.

Personally I far prefer series on UK species whether animals or birds, whihc I will go out of my way to watch, rather than 'foreign' species which I'll watch if I happen to be in. More of a surprise to me is the lack of programes covering species in the USA. I believe the UK wildlife programs often reach the USA but seldom do we see similar programs from across the Pond!

Andrew said:
That Owl programme will be on after Bill on Sunday. It was featured on the local news so it must be in the South West.
According to my tv guide it's in Yorkshire. I hope it comes with subtitles ;)

What I want from any Natural History prog. is to be told something new and/or interesting... not just go over the same old stuff.

Be they lions or urban foxes, I can only watch snoozing creatures for so long before the "channel thumb" gets itchy.

That's why My Halcyon River was so great - the setting was different, the style was different, I found out things I didn't know (not least that the native wildlife is not under any serious threat from mink, because otters kick ass!).

Sir David does it so well, and the sure to be one day Sir Bill tells you something new and interesting.

And there is so much to tell.

Gotta be said again, guffers is dead right... let's also get the kids interested in stuff closer to home!

When you look at the credits at the end of any wildlife programme you'll see the huge involvement of 'foreign' (ie non-British) TV and media companies in their production and distribution. Most programmes are filmed for a world-wide audience and then have the appropriate voice-over added. The best of British programmes are often made on a relatively low budget by regional TV companies. Unfortunately they then get mostly/only shown in that particular region. I don't see any signs of them becoming more widely available. A great pity.

Alan HIll

You've probably hit the nail on the head there Alan... but even so, I'd glady trade all the Eastenders garbage for one decent British wildlife show.

(Sorry... I'm not a fan of the "soaps".)

Hubby does have at home one of the furry mics he bought from BBC Bristol, which I guess used to be used for their natural history unit. I wonder what wonderful sounds that has picked up...

I think the Beeb prefers the big budget programs about non native animals because it's easier to sell it overseas.

The Halycon River program is one I'll happily watch repeats of. If anyone from the Beeb is listening more like these than pretending to send some idiot back 70 millions years to "Swim" with some dinosaur.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back