• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Podacarpus Nat Park birding? (1 Viewer)

ebwilderae

Hello, planning a trip most likely for next winter Jan or Feb. An acquaintance had lived in Loja which sounds enjoyable enough and highly recommended this nearby NP. Granted there are some access issues he thought guides were likely available from Loja or Bombuscara. I am reading lots of great reports re the Northern Andes i.e. Mindo, et al which we will include in our month long trip to Ecuador but very little about the south and Podacarpus in particular. My wife is somewhat less interested in birding than I but loves exotic flora and fauna and we both like to hit the markets, local culture and see what life might be like. So thinking of Loja, Cuenca, Salinas (or perhaps a better coastal spot) and Quito and environs. Would appreciate any input. We don't have a budget to just do tours and great lodges but she insists I cannot cheap her too much on this one so part of the time will be in a nice lodge or two. Also the E Slope or Amazon. Yikes!B :)

Hi,

There's plenty to be seen at podocarpus (both bird and plant wise) . Saw some amazing orchids at the park.

A place i can definitely recommend is Copalinga, which is a few kilometers from the bombuscaro entrance to podocarpus. The lady that owns the place definitely knows her birds and can probably give you some good tips. It has great hummingbird feeders (and plenty flowering shrubs to attract more).

At the time (2008) seen lanceolated monklet, coppery chested jacamar, band-bellied owl and yellow-cheecked becard just around the lodge. Hummers included blue fronted lancebill (once at the feeders), spangled cocquette, wire-crested thorntail, violet-headed hummingbird, black fronted briljant, green hermit,....).

Other great place (but pretty bird oriented): Tapichalaca - for the jocotoco antpitta amongst others.

A bit off the beaten track (at least at the time): Yankuam. at that time quite basic, but the river ride to get to shaime for the orange throated tanager was great, and it has some other (geological) attractions nearby as well as an oilbird cave (but it's a bit of a trek): http://www.lindoecuadortours.com/

I'll need to check my notes (if I can still find them) about the entrance to the higher reaches of the park.

KR,

filip

Many thanks Filip,

Copalinga sounds very nice for birds and more and the price is much more agreeable than what I have been seeing at other lodges. Seems like several would cost us $1500 - $2000 for a 4 night stay which is way out of our price range.
I recall a thread on the Costa Rica forum re cheaper digs as so many of the classic places had become so expensive that serious but not well-heeled birders were not able to afford them. I read that one can pay to bird trails at some places and that is fine by me. Anyway, any other thoughts much appreciated. Mike

I second the recommendation of Copalinga- my husband and I stayed there a few years ago and enjoyed it. There is good birding right at the lodge, and the owners can arrange to drop you off at Podocarpus for a day hike (it's close enough that you can just walk back). A few of the birds we saw there and other notes can be found in my thread about the trip: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=163523&highlight=ecuador&page=2 post 42 is about Copalinga. I also have notes about Tapichalaca (staying there is expensive, but it was quite nice).

Thanks Ovenbird, as you might guess I have not visited this thread in a good long while. Still researching for our visit in January. Copalinga sounds like a must do and a worthwhile splurge for 3 days or so. Also doing stuff up out of Quito and then Mindo. Head spins at the possibilities.
Coming to Tucson in August to house-sit for a month and do the TAS festival, maybe see you folks there.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back