• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Danae (1 Viewer)

The other ones here are really obscure, though, I think.
[OD here]. Diagnosis:
T. affinis T. nymphæ, Gray, sed pileo dorsoque brunneis, supercilio et facie laterali tota rufo-brunneis facile distinguenda.
= Tanysiptera related to T. nympha, Gray, but easily distinguished by the brown crown and back, and wholly rufous-brown supercilium and face side.
So T. danae is arguably like T. nympha having been covered by a golden rain, just like Danaë in the myth when Zeus took the form of a golden rain to reach her.

(As a side note: it's interesting to see that "Danae" here appears clearly intended as a nominative in apposition, not a feminine genitive, as indicated by the final -ae which is not a ligature; compare to "nymphæ" in the Latin diagnosis.)

Martin and Laurent, thank you for raising this thread (it made me revisit the genus and taxa, which highlighted an out of sequence heading, galatheae, somehow included under galatea!!) Not a few taxa in Tanysiptera were named deliberately for mythological goddesses or nymphs associated with water, i.e. acis, danae, dea, doris, galatea, hydrocharis, isis, nais, nympha, sabrina, sylvia.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back