• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elmley Marshes(RSPB Reserve) (1 Viewer)

Grousemore

Had a great day at Elmley today,over 40 different species seen in a couple of hours.
I won't bore everybody with the full list,but the highlights for me were close views of Hen Harrier,Short-eared Owl and Kestrel.
Although Kestrels are common there,this particular one showed almost a Robin-like " tameness",allowing me to get within about 10 feet before moving off a little,and letting the pattern repeat itself so that we spent 20 minutes or so in close proximity!
The entrance and other tracks have all been renovated recently,which makes this ,for me,the best site in East Kent.

Trevor.

Nice Little report there, Trevor.

As for "boring" us with a full list - I for one wouldn't be bored if you still have it. Let's face it... I add a bird list to my reports!

Anyone else got an opinion?

Nice one Trevor,
I know Elmley very well as i used to go birding there during my time in the South East, to me it is one of the best sites one that i would love to see again, wish you had posted your sightings for the day, as they give those who have not been there an idea as to what birds you may see......

I don't think long reports or lists are boring at all especially if you try to make them sound exciting.

I am glad you had a great close encounter with the Kestrel! These sort of encounters are to be considered special privileges!!!

Thanks for thaat Trevor, which whets the appetite nicely for KENTBASH at Elmley Marshes on Sunday 27 April. Please note the change of date.

Thanks for the positive response,I'll happily post the full list of sightings and I'm sure I missed more besides!

Little Grebe,Cormorant,Grey Heron,Mute Swan,Shelduck,Wigeon,Teal,Mallard,Pintail,Shoveler,Pochard,Tufted Duck,Hen Harrier(male),Kestrel(fem),Grey Partridge,Pheasant,Moorhen,Coot,Oystercatcher,Avocet,Ringed Plover,Grey Plover,Lapwing,Little Stint,Dunlin,Black-Tailed Godwit,Curlew,Redshank,Black-headed Gull,Common Gull,Great Black-Backed Gull,Woodpigeon,Little Owl,Short-Eared Owl,Skylark,Meadow Pipit,Pied Wagtail,Robin,Blackbird,Fieldfare,Carrion Crow,Starling,House Sparrow,Goldfinch,
A possible Spotted Redshank misses the list due to the uncertainty of 'bad Light Stops Play'

Trevor.

Great list Grouse, and a Little Stint as well, a very lovely bird to see, see we would have missed that......add to that 2 Owls. Thanks for the list Grouse.

Sounds like Peter has politicians on the menu.........i think we should be told.

Nice one Grousemore. It's a great reserve

It's interesting what you say about the Kestrel because I had a similar close encounter there a few weeks ago. We approached a post with a female kestrel on it and it did not fly away. As we got to about 20 feet it flew onto the ground about 30 feet off the path and we realised that it had caught something. So we stopped and I trained my scope onto it. I realised that it had caught a snake (or maybe slow worm - I'm no good at reptiles). This snake was longer that the kestrel and was writhing around. As I watched in huge close-up through the scope the kestrel ripped the head and the top part of the body off and ate it and then swallowed the rest whole like a piece of spaghetti. It then realsed it was too close to us and waddled around before managing to take off and fly a few yards off. Amazing.

Robin

What a sight that must have been!It may even have the same Bird that I saw.Mine was initially perched on top of the "new" hide and whilst inside i could hear it scratching about on the roof.
Trevor.

Thanks for posting the list, Grousemore.

I like "bad light stops play". I use it myself quite a lot!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back