• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Show Us Your Maven (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Took the leap during the beginning of the pandemic. Had to wait due to the shutdown, the plus side it was also at a time of Maven’s sale markdowns saving me over $100 off this custom build 6x30.

Attachments

• 55D174CC-4D27-4454-AE01-2CA4DA8BA2C4.jpeg
    55D174CC-4D27-4454-AE01-2CA4DA8BA2C4.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Funky looking unit - rubber armouring, custom built for you?

Yes , I chose this armor design over their standard black or gray. I added the red highlights to go with the Maven M label. I wanted a look that looked Custom, not the standard boring Binocular look. Maven offers a unique product regarding their quality with options to match. I wanted the pair I ordered to reflect not just their outstanding optical view when one looks thru these but also have a unique (funky) Custom look. Maven binoculars are indeed unique, why not start off with a look to match. My only regret is I did not opt for the special engraving. I have since contacted Maven about sending them back for the engraving but decided not to. I feel they got everything right on this pair as to the way they customized the Armor scheme, the coloring highlights to the mechanical handling and optics but decided not to tempt the old Murphy law ..not sending them back means nothing gets messed up. I like these, so I have decided if they offer another sale I will order another pair of 6x30.

Last edited:
I bet the Maven 6x30 is a pleasure to use.

How's the performance?

Rob

Over the many years that I have handled optics, I have read just as many different opinions on any one binocular brand regarding everything from their build quality to how they perform optically to if their cost justifies their performance. Regarding the performance of these to my eyes both physically and optically .... they rank on top (the nicest) of any 6x binocular I have ever handled or owned. I am not saying these outperform in every category of all the 6x power binoculars that came before these but given their strengths versus their weaknesses is why I believe these are the current best 6x binocular available today.

Attachments

• C0B661BE-CACA-4D17-8E34-0B858C0B9B1F.jpeg
    C0B661BE-CACA-4D17-8E34-0B858C0B9B1F.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Looks like faux alligator or rattlesnake skin. Don't you have similar in Norfolk?

Lee

Yes, it’s does look like rattlesnake skin. The picture does not really show the nice colors. I do not have similar in Norfolk, but would use this armor look again if ordering another pair.

Last edited:
The pattern on the covering of the Maven is one of a series of high detail camouflage patterns marketed under the Kryptek brand
All use the same elements with different colour combinations, see https://kryptek.com/kryptek-camo-patterns
The detail seems to represent some sort of digitally generated construction

While such patterns seem to be popular, functionally it’s hard to understand why
At a moderate distance any camo pattern ‘blobs’: either into one overall colour, or; a couple of large swathes of colour
- and small scale patterns like these blob more quickly (especially so with the low contrast black one)
So why not just start with the aggregated colour/s?

John

Attachments

• Kryptek.jpg
    Kryptek.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Kryptek 2.jpg
    Kryptek 2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Those 6x30’s are nice. Today I was in a store in Wyoming and walked out with a pair of their C.2 7x28’s. They can’t hold a candle to the 6x30’s, but for $200, a great pair to leave in the car.

While such patterns seem to be popular, functionally it’s hard to understand why
At a moderate distance any camo pattern ‘blobs’: either into one overall colour, or; a couple of large swathes of colour
- and small scale patterns like these blob more quickly (especially so with the low contrast black one)
So why not just start with the aggregated colour/s?

John

I might go so far as to suggest that most camouflage sold in the US is designed to appeal to the buyer's eye rather than to be functional in the woods at this point. It is destined for urban use and is designed to fit a "tactical" or "fashionable" look. As far as urban use of camouflage goes, white adults wearing camouflage of pretty much any variety do blend in pretty well :)

Reminds me of some comedy bits regarding the appropriate use of pink camouflage - for hiding in Candy Land and for hunting Flamingos :)

To be clear, not trying to knock the look of your bins gcole - I might perhaps not choose an animal print type pattern out of personal preference, but I do quite like the red accents offsetting the bins. I also think the green accents on Vanguard bins are sharp, for the same reason.

Those 6x30’s are nice. Today I was in a store in Wyoming and walked out with a pair of their C.2 7x28’s. They can’t hold a candle to the 6x30’s, but for $200, a great pair to leave in the car.

Reading the opinions of Mavens overall quality here and on the internet has been overwhelming positive from the majority of wildlife observers and birders. The 6x30 is my first exposure to their brand. Based on what I have read and experienced, I have no doubt that their 7x28 series would exhibit the same overall quality in a more affordable package. I have searched extensively on the internet for different brands with the 7x28 configuration, finding not many options being available to the consumer. Since Mavens inception I have only seen a handful of their used binoculars being resold. That in itself sends a very positive message regarding their overall quality. I think it was smart for Maven to produce the more affordable smaller 7x version. I wish more companies would do the same, in doing so maybe it would lead to a Alpha level quality compact 7x being made. Now back to the subject. I know there are many Maven owners out there. Show us your Maven. Custom or not ... I have shown mine , let’s see yours 3:)

Last edited:
To be clear, not trying to knock the look of your bins gcole - I might perhaps not choose an animal print type pattern out of personal preference, but I do quite like the red accents offsetting the bins. I also think the green accents on Vanguard bins are sharp, for the same reason.

I did not see that pattern as a type animal, but more reptile snake like. Animal skins/furs repel me for obvious reasons. If I do order another pair, I would use the same armor pattern with the gun gray highlights with the black Maven labeling. It would be another 6x30. If they made the 7x28 series available to be upgraded at the B1 Level Customized, I would order those also.

I might go so far as to suggest that most camouflage sold in the US is designed to appeal to the buyer's eye rather than to be functional in the woods at this point. It is destined for urban use and is designed to fit a "tactical" or "fashionable" look. As far as urban use of camouflage goes, white adults wearing camouflage of pretty much any variety do blend in pretty well :)

Reminds me of some comedy bits regarding the appropriate use of pink camouflage - for hiding in Candy Land and for hunting Flamingos :)

Yes I agree, I chose my pattern because it appealed to me visually.

Yes I agree, I chose my pattern because it appealed to me visually.

Nothing wrong with that! I do think the customization of Maven's is nifty. I played with it once or twice, but honestly I like their default black scheme just about as well as any custom scheme, it's also attractive.

Just to be clear, my comments of yesterday were not meant to be a criticism of the use of the dark Kryptek pattern on the Mavens
As shown in GC’s photo, it’s low key enough to be a refreshing change from the usual all black RA coverings

However, more generally as pbjosh notes, most civilian camo seems to be about eye appeal, rather than functional effectiveness
And interestingly, the same thing is also seen in military use

Frequently when a country’s army adopts a new pattern - presumedly based on anticipated theatres of land operation -
the navy will then adopt a similar pattern in blue and black for shipboard use!

John

Just to be clear, my comments of yesterday were not meant to be a criticism of the use of the dark Kryptek pattern on the Mavens
As shown in GC’s photo, it’s low key enough to be a refreshing change from the usual all black RA coverings

However, more generally as pbjosh notes, most civilian camo seems to be about eye appeal, rather than functional effectiveness
And interestingly, the same thing is also seen in military use

Frequently when a country’s army adopts a new pattern - presumedly based on anticipated theatres of land operation -
the navy will then adopt a similar pattern in blue and black for shipboard use!

John

The comments regarding Mavens use of Dark Kryptek (my choice) was never interpreted by me to be any criticism. These types of discussions :t: are the reason I read and participate here on this forum.

Those binos look fabulous, gcole! I think the red detail really clinches it. Also I think 6x30 is a superb format. I used to have a pair of Leupold Katmais in 6x30 but foolishly sold them to fund some other caprice.

On the subject of camo: A guy walks in a clothing store. Asks the attendant 'Do you sell camouflage trousers?' Attendant replies 'Yes, Sir'. Guy asks 'Where are they?' Attendant replies 'I've no idea'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back